• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Brake light switch.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I rebuilt my TR3A I decided to go with the micro switch setup for my brake lights as I had read about all the headaches people have with the hydraulic pressure switch.

I bought a switch from one of the local auto stores. That one failed after being a pain to get adjusted. I replaced it with a better micro switch I had from work. It snaps open or closed.
I have noticed that it works some times then other times it does not even though it is Snapping closed as I press the brakes. Possible it is not suitable for DC current.

Any suggestions on a good brake micro switch?

David

James Christie

Freshman Member
Country flag
Most folks in Europe with this problem fit a BMW switch. - sorry don’t have the part number - plenty of other sources on internet

james

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you.

I have a BMW one on order from a local Non BMW supplier. Should be there in the morning. Will be glad to noyt have to check the brake lights every time I drive.

David

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I use a metal mechanical switch sourced from TRF for a TR4. It's mounted to the brake mc/pedal box in the engine bay. It's been working in my TR3 for more than a decade.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David, did you remove the original switch due to failure or just in case? maybe you can refit it.

Graham

Skellyt

Freshman Member
Country flag
David,

Ditto JFS with the TR4 switch. I’ve used the same one for close to 10 years with no issues. Prior to that I used two TR3 switches and both failed probably due to the use of silicon brake fluid.

Tom TCF 3B

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I too changed to switch activated by the brake pedal so that it is pretty much completely hidden. Works very well and making a small bracket was pretty easy. Was sure I had some pictures of installation and the part itself, but can't find them. Will post update if I find those pics. Cheers, Mike

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Graham

I did leave the original switch but fitted the micro switch just in case the original failed or did not work. It was easier to modify the wiring harness while I had it opened up for the alternator mods.

David

David, did you remove the original switch due to failure or just in case? maybe you can refit it.

Graham

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Precisely what kind of microswitch did you use? Most of the ones sold for general electronic use cannot handle the current used by brake lights. They often can handle substantial AC current, but not DC.

I think I'd use a switch that is specifically designed for brake lights.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I used this switch from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_9&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Pedal operated, not a Triumph but British:

Mwjls9K.jpg

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
A bit of a tangent on this subject: Both wires from my brake light switch are green, therefore I can't distinguish them. Does it matter how they're connect to the green and green/purple wires off the harness?

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Cool. Thanks!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Here is a photo of the connector on the switch I am trying to use.

May have to go to a junk yard to get the pigtail.

David

Brake light switch s.jpg

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mike , I am in the final stages of restoring a 54 Long Door. The green and green/purple are not long enough to reach the hydraulic brake switch. I was going to just splice wires so they will reach. If the switch doesn't work, I will try one activated by the brake pedal. Does the switch you bought operate as a contact switch, when you step on the pedal?

Dick Vinal

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mike , I am in the final stages of restoring a 54 Long Door. The green and green/purple are not long enough to reach the hydraulic brake switch. I was going to just splice wires so they will reach. If the switch doesn't work, I will try one activated by the brake pedal. Does the switch you bought operate as a contact switch, when you step on the pedal?

Dick Vinal

Hi Dick

Switch I used closes as the pedal is moved away from the switch. Here is a picture I just took of my set up showing my homemade bracket and the switch. Has worked very well for a few years.

Cheers, Mike

Switch_and_Bracket (Medium).jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Perhaps the ideal switch would be a used TR4 switch - mine has been in service for 56 years. They look like this:

triumph-tr4-tr4a-brake-light-switch_360_e8aff60b39c261f25f557fffda44be1f.jpg

It mounted on the pedal box about where the TR3 stop bolts were once used. NOS ones come up on eBay from time to time for little money - I even bought a spare which should guarantee I never need it.

Oddly, the switch used on the TR4 was made by Delco (in England) rather than Lucas.