• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HP printing problem

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I had a problem with my HP 2035 printer. I got (against my wishes) a Win 10 update that somehow fouled up the printer. I messed around and finally got it back but I was getting an annoying Double-Sided instruction popup. I went online, followed instructions, tried to remove it without success. My son just called and told me the option appears under "more" on the print menu and sure enough, the double-sided option appeared there and was somehow checked - but not by me. Why didn't the online troubleshooter tell me that? I unchecked it and the printer was restored. On top of that, my WiFi went out and I had to somehow click, unplug, press reset, etc. and finally got it back. I have no idea what I'm doing but somehow muddle through. I envy those of you who are conversant with this stuff, but hey - most people my age know less than I do.

Country flag
I sympathize. While I've been a computer guy for the last 40 years, I'm a mainframe type and struggled to build a new laptop I was given for work. It was assumed we all could find, install and configure the various bits of software needed. I finally managed with help from a couple other guys, but Windows isn't my strong suit when it comes to much more than switching on...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I am having perpetual low grade HP printer issues with Windows 10. seems like a windows 7 printer doesn't quite transition well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It seems the more 'automagic' things get, the more problematic they are. Printers, especially. If they can't "see" the Mothership on the 'net, getting them to work correctly is a PITA.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have no idea what I'm doing but somehow muddle through. I envy those of you who are conversant with this stuff, but hey - most people my age know less than I do.

I think you do great for someone not raised in the computer age. And I marvel at you still practicing law. How have you adapted to online legal research or are you still using the books? My legal career was at its beginnings when Westlaw came into play and I found the changeover new and exciting, but I knew a lot of lawyers who had difficulty with it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We have a wireless HP 3700 all in one series, small desktop that fits anywhere. Being so compact, it takes up very little space. Had an Epson wireless, gave it away, hated it! It took a while to get the HP to work right on W-10, but after fiddling with it, it now works fine on 10 and 8.1. I'm still having a problem getting it to recognize the Linux machine, haven't figured that out yet. Also having an issue with it recognizing the wife's iPad, it worked once but for some reason it quit on the iPad. :rolleyes2:

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had an HP printer for a long time. Every time there was an upgrade or other system change it disconnected and i pulled my hair out trying to get it to work again.
I eventually got rid of it and bought a Brother multi function printer. However I think the next printer I get will probably be an Epson with the refillable ink tanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did IT work for a sign business back in the mid and late '90's, they had vinyl cutters, printers and a BIG hp inkjet one. 56" big. What a thing to get it to run properly. As I recall, the interface was with a "Jet Direct" NIC/router/gizmo.

Recently got Mitsy a Brother laser color unit, haven't bothered to try getting it to play well with Linux yet.

I think Epson, with their refillable ink system is a very good idea.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
(snip)..........I think Epson, with their refillable ink system is a very good idea.
I have a brother laser printer. The Brother toner cartridges are about $60 ea. Since my wife is working from home she’s using the printer much more now. I had an old empty cartridge that I refilled. A bottle of toner powder cost me $6 on Amazon. Last week I popped the one I refilled into the printer and held my breath... I’m happy to report that it’s working perfectly!

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I think you do great for someone not raised in the computer age. And I marvel at you still practicing law. How have you adapted to online legal research or are you still using the books? My legal career was at its beginnings when Westlaw came into play and I found the changeover new and exciting, but I knew a lot of lawyers who had difficulty with it.

What little research I do these days is online. I'm just handling Wills, Estates, Real Estate closings and maybe an LLC formation. No more Court cases, divorces, criminal, negligence, midnight phone calls "Counselor, I'm in jail", doctor's wife showing up at 7 am with bald tire "Look at what my husband is making me drive around with" (wife made her a cuppa tea), etc. In CT, can no longer file Probate Court papers in person or by mail or even email. Must be something called TurboCourt, for which you need Adobe Acrobat - that I had to subscribe to at $14/month. And it only works on my laptop. My office desktop will need another subscription. Only the original Will can be filed by mail - not even a certified copy of the death certificate. Possibility of fraud there for sure. Royal PITA, but what can I do? I don't know any better. I can't afford to retire and can't afford not to, so I soldier on like an old horse and a wooden plow. I have no secretary or paralegal. Only me.