• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A morning outside.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Being laid up for a long time you start to become melancholy and it affects your overall outlook on life. Yesterday and today though I was able to go outside for a couple of hours. It's amazing what a little sunshine, a slight breeze, the sounds of birds, and a cuban cigar and Irish whiskey can do for your outlook.
20200908_085202.jpg

Country flag
And if you lived too much further west, you could be watching the snow instead.... One guy I work with who is WFH lives outside Colorado Springs in the mountain foothills, sent a message this morning that it's gone from the 90s over the weekend to 30s and snow today.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nice! I haven't had a cigar in a few years and mostly don't miss it, but, every now and again, especially with a single malt. Not going to do it (can't) but sure can dream it.

Oh and RE: Cubans. You have maybe heard the story of Robert McNamara who had a taste for Cuban cigars. He was once asked how he as Secretary of Defense could justify smoking Cuban cigars.

He replied, "I prefer to think of it as burning their crops." :grin:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WFH?

Walter,

Good to hear some good news.After working lots of hours,I took a drive
in the M**** & it was perfect weather.There's some great roads near here,and
it's nice to get out & enjoy them.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It went from around 100 yesterday to a forecasted high of 60 today and it is supposed to rain for the next three days.

I only smoke once in a very great while, my last one was around Christmas. I have a buddy that smokes pretty often though and he sent me five Cubans as a get well gift, with the way I smoke I'll be set up for a couple of years now. I hadn't heard that McNamara quote but I like it.

I had a pretty debilitating injury to my foot this summer. I shattered my heel and ankle, had two surgeries, about three plates, two large screws and who knows how many pins in my heel. I have been on mostly bed rest for the past seven weeks, I have five more weeks before I go back to the doctor and get to learn to start walking again. I may have to sell the Miata because I may not be able to drive anything in which my foot has to rest on my heel.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
still glad you hear you are on the mend!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Being laid up for a long time you start to become melancholy and it affects your overall outlook on life. ...

You don't know how true that is
in1999 we had a family reunion on Fripp Island Ga. My nephew came down with a staff infection (?) that he almost died from. During his long recovery he became depressed with the the feeling that his life wasn't worth living.
This then progressed to him getting into drugs and eventually living on the streets of Seattle. It took about 7 years and many stints in rehab before he finally decided that he wanted to turn his life around.
That was 8 years ago and during that time he was hospitalized with staff infection multiple times.
Last year labor day we found out that he was in last stage kidney failure.
It took many months to get in the kidney program in Seattle and just last month his brother was OK's for a kidney trans to him and he was in great spirits.
His outlook on life has been great and he is the kind of young man we new he'd grow into.
On Sept 2nd he passed away in his sleep. Just 1 month shy of his new kidney. Our family is devastated and with Covid cannot get together to grieve and honor his life.
It has been a rough couple of weeks

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my don what a terrible list of events. Condolences.

Country flag
That's a terrible thing to happen for a young person with life still ahead. Always remember that he had climbed out of the dark hole of drug addiction and wasn't lost somewhere on the streets any longer, and had family around for help when needed.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Don, that's absolutely terrible. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.