• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Happy Labour Day

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I realize for most of us it is almost meaningless in COVID world, but still the end of summer at least mentally.

Yesterday morning Mrs JP and I went to our first funeral (attending not conducting) since March. As a society we don't typically think of funerals as lovely but this really was.

The deceased, a friend and colleague was 96 years old. Died of a heart attack (not COVID). His wife (2nd marriage - he was widowed) is at least 20 years younger and I swear has kept him alive for the last 5 years out of sheer bloody mindedness. :smile: He was ordained in 1948! (74 years!). Started and served one church for 40 years, retired and essentially stayed there for another 30. The service was held at that church at 11 AM Sunday morning. The family and pastor reasoned that he had processed up the aisle every Sunday at 11 am for 40 years, he could do so one more time.

With COVID, most of our churches are still closed so there were at least 7 ministers available to attend a funeral in another church at 11 am on a Sunday morning. How often would that happen any other time.

In Ontario, by law churches are limited to 30% capacity or 50 people whichever is less. As well we must wear masks indoors. So, funeral was invitation only, 50 people, sign in for contact tracing, get temp taken, wear mask, no singing (just a soloist) - though we did have hymns to listen to. Weird yes, but, since this is the first time I have been in a church since the middle of March oddly familiar and comforting.

Yesterday was also a gorgeous day, so, we came home, made lunch (of course no reception at the funeral) and read in the backyard. Started the smoker, put in about 7 lbs of pork loin for supper (with coleslaw and salad later). Half dry rub, half wet sauce. Mmmmm I love BBQ.

Then got the Midget out and Mrs JP and I went for a drive down the waterfront for an hour or so. Ms. Triss is still not running perfectly smoothly though when she warms up she gets better. I think it is still mostly last years gas but, may pull the plugs today to see. Still a lovely drive, temp in the low 70's and the sun setting in a blue sky.

Then home and a couple of British Cozy Mysteries (Pie in the Sky) before bed.

All in all one of the nicest days in a very long time.

Happy Labour Day all.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Happy Labour Day JP.

Sounds like you had a great weekend.

This will be the first Labor day in a long time that We have not done the Labor Day 5 K race. Seems strange. It would have been a great day for it. Last year it was hot and humid.

David

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Northern Nevada heavy smoke from California and 100 plus so outside not likely. did fire up BBQ but could have cooked on pavement. Golf on TV staying close to home. A question to all ?? Will we all be here this time next year I hope so be safe our cars are ready for a drive. Madflyer

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like a lovely day. With 110F yesterday and today, and the smoke as mentioned by Madflyer, it's an inside day.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Lovely day! Thanks for sharing. This weekend, I managed to go sailing twice (once in a Soling, then a Sonar), go for a long bike ride (my legs are sore), clean up the yard, and tonight I have some nice bone-in pork chops accompanied by a cold CAB.

However, I look forward complaining about going back to work tomorrow... (i.e. post COVID).

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I officiated soccer games both Sat. and Sun. at a tournament. I woke up this morning and went for a run... my legs are sore too!
Tonight it's a nice dinner on the deck with beautiful weather to add to a most enjoyable day.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Plan here was to spend the first Labor Day in many years, doing nothing. Up at 5:30, coffee, check news to make sure the world hadn't ended. At about noon made a meatball sandwich and as I prepared to glom it down, heard a horn bleat out front. My pal of 35 years, an ex-pat Brit and shop owner I'd worked with back in the mid-eighties, came by. Normally we celebrate 4th of July together but missed it this past one. We sat and nattered for four hours, everything from our early life experiences and our times together in the garage, to solving the world's problems. A most pleasant afternoon.

Country flag
Treasure those old friends. Lost one of my oldest, known nearly 45 years that I roomed with in college right at the start of the virus era from cancer. Probably for the best so that his wife didn't have to worry over which would be the eventual cause. But I'll miss being able to check in and chat for the rest of my days.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Old friends like old dogs are memories we keep for ever. I tell the stories of the good old days year after year. I do not think I wish to remember these last few months. Be safe this to will pass. Madflyer