• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member with a 1955 TR2

Stevenry

Country flag
Hello, Steve here

My journey began with a picture of an MGA that grabbed me. I began watching YouTubes, reading all I could find, checking parts availability and prices (my other car is a 1985 Mercedes turbo diesel wagon) and lurking in forums. Mostly from discussion topics on forums, I came to the conclusion that given I would want to use the car as a daily driver in nice weather, acquiring an MGA would probably be a first step. Second and third, unless already done, would be an engine from an MGB and overdrive to compete with today’s traffic.

The search for a Triumph began. I found an original one owner TR4 with about 80,000 miles on it. It was getting tired, I could tell. Eight days after the purchase, an octogenarian in an SUV ran head on into me. Luckily it was pretty low speed, but the car was totaled. After a month of BS with his insurance company, I had the payoff and found my current TR2. I drove it over 1,000 miles home with only a flat tire, and have continued driving for two months while spending weekends building a garage for it. The garage is just about done, so I can finally get under the car and in the engine compartment for maintenance and tune up. Can’t wait. I’m planning a trip down the Washington and Oregon coast to Northern California before the weather turns.

The car was restored in the early 90’s, and some paint and filler has chipped off. Not a show car, or necessarily original, but that’s fine - I don’t worry about parking at the grocery store. It has been a California car always, mostly LA area, and is not rusty. It was driven in rallies since the early 90s seemingly most every year, and has been upgraded over the years with larger cylinders, street cam, headers, TR4 head, overdrive, etc. I’m loving that it’s such a driver compared to the one owner TR4 I briefly owned.

and boy does it go!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Steve

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and advice there for your TR2.

Post some photos of the TR2.

The pub is a section where almost anything comes up for discussion.

David

OP
S

Stevenry

Country flag
D73315DA-E4F5-4AFB-8DFF-9EBC6EC8AAD8.jpgEF2CCD15-6598-43FA-BCDA-0DDD72D3D444.jpg

New car and garage

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
That is a great looking TR2.

Do you find you can see anything in the wing mirrors? I added a convex mirror mounted on the windshield stanchion.

David
Latest morror mount.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It was a TR2 that got me interested in Triumphs. A friend had a red one and he had rear-ended someone and broke his radiator and dented the apron. He was in the Army at the time and I was put in charge of the repair work. I had the radiator fixed at a local shop so the car was driveable and a body shop fixed the apron so that the car was as good as new. Not long after that, I traded my TD MK11 for a new green TR3.