• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I want one

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you lost power, the glide ratio is that of a chrome crowbar! Needs a builtin parachute! but a problem there is, a parachute isn't much help at 100 to 200 feet, (dead zone)! I want something with wings! :encouragement:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If you lost power, the glide ratio is that of a chrome crowbar! Needs a builtin parachute! but a problem there is, a parachute isn't much help at 100 to 200 feet, (dead zone)! I want something with wings! :encouragement:

:iagree:

Glide ratio of a BRICK! And a zero-zero seat wouldn't do much good either. It'd be "an equal and opposite reaction".

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
“Some” built in safety.... there are eight motors. If one fails the software reconfigures for stable flight.
A couple of years ago WHILE I HAD AN FAA EXAMINER in the back seat for my biannual flight review I had to release at 210 feet due to an emergency with the tow plane.
While towing me up the tow plane lost an engine mount :scared:
We both landed safely and the examiner took me back up for my review flight.
As a side note: The examiner passed me but noted that I should have released earlier. Geez, at 200 feet there’s not much to work with!

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elliot said:
Geez, at 200 feet there’s not much to work with!

Oft referred to as "high pucker territory"!

Examiner shoulda passed ya based on the fact that you got him on the floor uninjured! :thumbsup:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oft referred to as "high pucker territory"!

Examiner shoulda passed ya based on the fact that you got him on the floor uninjured! :thumbsup:

[/COLOR]
The examiner was a “her”... I just said thank you :rolleye:

Country flag
Looks like an Indy or F1 car with rotors for wheels. :smile:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The Stig flies!!!

(On a safety note, I’m surprise they flew in what seems to be a rather constricted area – versus out in the middle of a large field.)

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot - where did you fly out of?
On that particular day I had flown out of a small glierport in PA.
When I lived in NY, I used to fly out of Teterboro. I would often fly up to a glider port in Wurtsboro, NY.
I did make one nerve-racking landing at Danbury.... thread the needle through the mountains.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I only flew once - out of Wurtsboro, NY, with an ex-carrier pilot and former test pilot friend. I learned about adverse yaw that day. The Archer felt like a sports car when I flew back to Bridgeport.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Never gave this much thought, but when I had my commercial check ride in a glider, which was given by a 777 pilot, on the way back he told me to land on the grass next to the paved runway. No big deal until half way on final I noticed a tractor in the grass mowing, I shot back over the asphalt and landed as if it was supposed to be that way. He never touched the controls, but he never said a word until we stopped on a taxiway. He got out, walked back to the hanger and when I got there he had my signed ticket, shook my hand, said thank you and walked to his car! I figured he was ok with it! :highly_amused: