• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Side curtain info

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
As I continue to do the little fixes on my 1962 MGA I run into small projects that I am sure someone has done before and has an answer to my questions. Today I am replacing the rubber on the side curtains. What is the best way to put the long strip of rubber into the frame. Should I put soapy water in the channel and pull it through the slot or should I try to work it into the channel a bit at a time with a flat screwdriver? Or, is there another way I should try?
Thanks,
Charlie
Oriental, NC

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Well, I did not get any advice so I used dish soap and then, starting at the hard angle, I worked the rubber sloooowly into the channel. I worked away from the angle, both ways. I used a small flat blade screwdriver and, with a twisting motion, I pushed the edge of the rubber into the channel. I worked at about a 1/16 of an inch at a time. I did get the rubber worked into the channel all the way around by doing this. The dish soap allowed the rubber to ease into the channel as I pushed it. Slow but sure.
Charlie

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry no one stepped up to the plate, Charlie, but sounds like your method worked.

What's next on the agenda?

Mickey

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Mickey,
New tie rod ends went on this week. I have ordered a set of contact rebuild kits for the right rear light along with a new top. There really isn't a lot that needs to be done now except drive my car when the cooler weather finally hits. There is an interesting accessory under the hood/bonnet that I have never seen before. Maybe you have run across one at some point. There is a vertical cylinder into which ice is placed on a very hot day. The fuel line runs through it and it cools the fuel before it gets to the carbs to prevent vapor locking when driving slow, like in a parade. Have you ever seen one?
Charlie

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Can't say I have. Interesting, though; almost sounds home-made.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Magyar

Country flag
Regarding the rebuilding of side curtains. I need to replace the plexiglass panels on my 62 Sprite. I’m thinking of buying a sheet of Lexan and cutting/shaping to size. However, I also see AH Spares have a set in stock for $20 to $30. But I’m not sure if all side screen panels are created equal. From all the reading I’ve been doing, it seems like there are several different side curtains. So I’m not sure how I know if what I’m buying will fit the frames I have. So that brings me to thinking it’s better to make your own. With that in mind, what is the best material to use, plexiglass or Lexan? Or is there anything new on the market that would be better for side curtain material. Anyone have any experience with making these panels that can provide some insight?
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide. Magyar

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not side curtains, rather the quarter-lights of an MGB factory hardtop. Went to a local sign shop with rough dimensions (length & width) and a measured thickness with micrometer. The thickness is about the most critical in my case, suspect same for the side curtains. Material had to be ordered as the thickness was odd. Plexiglass. Lexan seemed overkill. Used the old window pane as a pattern. As long as the plexi is washed/cleaned with soft cloth, no scratches so far, it's been good since 2006 in Florida sunshine.

Same sign shop made me the caution sign in one side quarter-light:

bootbaby.JPG

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I have had bad luck with Lexan rear screens. They seem to crack for no apparent reason. Went back to Plexi with no problems. Not worth the extra money in my experience.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I was being 'diplomatic' about the Lexan. Plain and simple, it's brittle. And seems to become more-so with exposure to the elements.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Ah, that’s why I didn’t recognize...
lexan screen was fitted in the shop, never out side and broke in a week. Another lost its shape before being fitted.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Cool cans were and still are used in some cases in the racing circuit. I've seen them used in drag racing when running Methional, which must be kept cool. Not sure why one would be used in a road car running on gasoline.