• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Largest Armies

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Another interesting time-line. Of course, there are spikes at various wars (including the USA civil war). Love the use of Holst's music.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Most country's require service at 21 years not here. In some places it's the only job. In early US history the Navy would take kids from orphanages for below deck work and on guns called ( powder monkeys ) in battle. The Crows nest was for sharp shooters to shoot the same as they supplied gun powder to guns. See Navy history Madflyer

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I found the China entry amusing (at least until numbers probably became more accurate)... similar with Russia and their huge standing army.
Still, the rising and falling fortunes of countries are quite apparent here. Note Vietnam.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That is a fascinating graphic, especially when you think of the political/military issues in those countries in various years.

Got a chuckle out of poor J. Boylan in the Comments, who seemed dead set on proving a somewhat fuzzy point and insulting everyone else.

Say, where did the China numbers come from? If those numbers are vague, does that cast doubt on all the others? I'm assuming "army" refers to all the military groups in the geographical area, including navies and air forces, regardless of allegiances. (I don't think the Confederate States Army would be considered the same military unit as the United States Army!)

Thanks for posting this.
Tom M.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Like the one of car manufacturing, Tom, I have no idea where this came from... or, frankly, how accurate it is. Seems to fit though, and I guess all the specific numbers might mean something (or suggest an accurate source).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sobering indeed.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Ok, I am all the way down the rabbit hole, armies, population of cities in europe, and endless parade of mesmerizing moving horizontal bar graphs and music.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
A fun rabbit-hole as there are many of these. :eek:

Country flag
Most country's require service at 21 years not here. In some places it's the only job. In early US history the Navy would take kids from orphanages for below deck work and on guns called ( powder monkeys ) in battle. The Crows nest was for sharp shooters to shoot the same as they supplied gun powder to guns. See Navy history Madflyer

Not to mention the early 19th century and earlier "press" when the chronically understaffed British Navy would literally grab men off the streets and stopped foreign ships claiming they were citizens evading their service.