• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Present Attitude: Classic Cars

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just posting this subject out of curiosity, if nothing else. The subject is on human behavior or attitude with respect to classic cars/owners "in the present". Hopefully, others here can share their odd experiences or thoughts of possibly changing times. Or are times really changing?

Example, every time I take the Healey out, especially on a nice day as was today, there are always crowds of people where I go, and always cyclists and other car enthusiasts out and about.

First, my path was met today by two drivers of somewhat vintage Corvettes (1970's) and a driver of a mid sixties Ford convertible.

As a classic car owner out there, it almost always happens to me that drivers of vintage American cars never wave to me in passing. I used to give a wave only to find I'm the only one that ever waves. A little bit awkward. Now I usually wait to see if there is a slightest sign of acknowledgement or a "thumbs up" to be offered before I reciprocate. One weird moment I experienced once was a TR6 owner driving past me and never throwing a wave or thumbs up as I did for him.

Secondly, as for the crowds of folks and cyclists lingering outside on sidewalks, restaurants, parks and so on, as I'm driving along I found it a bit odd not one soul expressed a "thumbs up," if you will, except two instances.

With the first instance, when I parked the car on the street for a moment, a woman walking by stopped me to ask, "Why is this car considered Historic?" (Ok, I thought, I have some explaining to do). So, I explained to her the reason given the car's age (and in New Jersey, I believe it is labeled Historic because it is 25 years or older). Then she proceeded to justify to me that if I take care of the car as I do, then it will continue to look like a new car. Interesting response but anyway, I felt I was allowed to step down the witness stand.

The second instance was a little girl (about 4-5 years of age) pointing to her mom how neat looking my "race car" was. Mother seemed very disinterested but that was okay with me. But good for the little girl to notice moving art at such a young age!

Prior to today and which happened to me a few weeks ago, I drove my Healey to a local ice cream hot spot. I used to have people come up to me and ask if it would be ok if they could stand or sit in the car and have their picture taken. Others would engage in lengthy conversations with me. NOW, not one soul says a word (Like I'm bad taboo).

No matter. I drive my Healey because I really enjoy driving it. It doesn't matter to me if anyone says anything good or bad about Healeys or cars in general. But I cannot help but wonder if there is some trend happening with public attitude that we as car enthusiasts should be aware of. One thought I have is possibly how we are slowly moving away from fossil fuels and more electric cars are appearing. I know this has been happening for quite some time. But more and more people in general, are becoming more energy conscious, or greener in nature.

I do sense times are changing more than I want to believe just from the behavior out there. Any other thoughts on this? Just curious.

Paul

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I do sense times are changing more than I want to believe just from the behavior out there. Any other thoughts on this? Just curious.

YEP:

N we got that Virus now so i guess they do not think you or your car is Immune ?

Just curious did U have a mask on "

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keoke,

"NO!" When I get out of the car, the mask goes on! When I get in the car, the mask comes off! (and the Healey doesn't have a mask, never will).

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I routinely get more comments when I drive my 1970 Cutlass convertible than with my Corvettes or my Healey. I can't stop anywhere without someone commenting or telling me they used to own one "just like it." And, with the top down I can hear everyone commenting.
So, it may be more vehicle specific than anything else.

Country flag
I think the general situation in the country is causing people to be more introverted and less friendly. Happiness is getting rare. People don't interact as they use to. People don't smile easily. They are overwhelmed by fires, hurricanes, rioting, unemployment and politics. You have a toy that they can never afford without food or a job. 2020 just plan sucks. Hang in there. If you watch TV you will see tons of collector cars in commercials. That helps keep the hobby alive.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On my last long road trip, after 10+ days--I forget exactly how many--and another 8hr day in my BJ8 we stopped in a shopping mall in Chico to grab some beer for the hotel. A little boy, maybe 6 or 7, saw us and got really excited and started running toward us and pointing the car out to his mother. As my navigator, in his early 70s and I (almost there) extracted ourselves out of the car I heard the mom say "Look how hard it is to get out of!"

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Fran and I went up to Jasper (Alberta) a month back with our BJ7 and got consistently positive feedback - gave a young lady (<30) a ride back to her car at the start of a hiking trail and she was really pleased - she drove it around the parking lot and her friends filmed her. Stopped at Lake Louise, in front of a cafe, and the owner came out and showed me the picture I'd taken of her on her phone a year earlier - just a really nice coincidence. The front desk chap where we stayed mentioned seeing the car around town.
I've got some ego (look what I have!), but, I think, the best part is that driving the Healey (or our Meyers Manx clone buggy, or our Bugeye) brightens people's days - an old VW Beetle drove down the street last night and I waved, and he brightened my day.
Different people respond differently to each vehicle - high school girls (occasionally) call out 'nice car' to the dune buggy, and junior high boys will come over and ask about it; small children (and their parents) point and laugh at the Bugeye, etc.
The best part about owning something unique (and approachable) is that it provides an excuse for conversation. If you have a baby or a puppy (or a dune buggy, etc.), strangers feel allowed to open a conversation. And communication enriches all of our lives.
Doug

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This has happened to me a couple times: I'm pumping gas, or standing around waiting for my navigator to buy snacks and a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) walks toward the car. I'm thinking: "Jeez, do I have a brake light out or something;" then, it turns out the LEO just wants to compliment the Healey and chat about cars!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I got pulled over once, many years ago, in the dune buggy. The Officer was a good guy and explained that checking that my seat belt was done up was just an excuse to ask about the car. Man, I'm glad I don't have their jobs, and I'm sure not going to begrudge a couple of minutes to make someone's day a bit better! Cool experience, Mr. Spidell! Doug

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The best part about owning something unique (and approachable) is that it provides an excuse for conversation. If you have a baby or a puppy (or a dune buggy, etc.), strangers feel allowed to open a conversation. And communication enriches all of our lives.

Doug , I sure agree with U:

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
get you an early bronco if you are looking for attention...cant keep people away from mine...old and young! also drive a nasty boy with big tires, louvered hood, and somewhat loud! and i get lots of looks and thumbs up in my 93 foxbody ssp. maybe i live in a unique area but lots of interest here....greenville, sc!

SimsBJ8

Country flag
Last week at a red light I had a young adult (early 20's) give a thumbs up and say "Nice car man, what is it, how fast does it go?". I responded "Thank you. It's a 1967 Austin Healey, a British Sports Car ....." the light turned green and he was gone. Next time I am tempted to respond "Austin Healey, not sure, never had it above 150!".

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
People today really don't seem to be interested in the older cars. With all the activities they have their kids in they don't have the time to think about cars. Then there are the ones that see the car auctions and the prices scare them into even asking anyone about their car. Kids that are interested are usually sidetracked by the parents because they don't want them wasting their time on cars. Then there are the ones that just don't know cars. For example (new MINI, not old) I am at a gas pump filling fuel and I was asked if the car was electric, and then the one that asked what type of car is that and I replied a MINI, they responded, "sure is!" Unless we show our old stuff and let the kids sit and dream of driving it, I believe the art of old cars will be lost. Especially with the tree huggers wanting the dinosaurs crushed.

Country flag
Generally positive, although most have no idea what they are. But it seems teens to 30s in many cases have little interest, my nieces don't for example and aren't interested in some day inheriting them. And I have had those who've said they feel it is criminal to own old cars if they're not electric converted. Had one young fellow say "So you want to destroy the earth and see everyone die", because it used gas. He was trying to get me to commit to changing the cars and house to 100% wind and solar power.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
But solar is a nightmare to recyle and damaging to landfills. To convert cars to electric costs more and destroys the car let alone what to done with the iron and aluminum for recycle. So, if everything is electric, what is the impact on our energy source to produce more power. Fuel powered generators, coal, natural gas. Wind turbines explode and pollute more than driving a car 10 yrs., killing big numbers of our feathered friends. What's the answe? Drive if you feel like, stay with bicycles and scooters if you don't or just stay home.

Country flag
Lots of people believe that there is no cost, short or long term, to wind, solar and other alternative forms. Yet the rare earth and toxic metals used for batteries for example are extremely hard to recycle or otherwise dispose of. Someone may very well come up with answers to all that at some point, but not so far. And until there are very high capacity small batteries, what I have seen isn't practical. Saw online an article about some NW company that converted a Sunbeam Alpine to electric. They used 1500lbs of batteries filling the trunk and the space behind the seats. So they removed about 450-500lbs of the original mechanicals and replace with 1000lbs more, and that doesn't include a driver or passenger.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Precisely. Which do you give up? The extra weight on an electric car takes away mileage and can poluute worse. I had a GT6 which got up to 40mpg on the highway, EPA deemed it took too many hydrocarbons and was not deemed worthy of passing emissions. So they quit making them. But, my 1986 E150 camper van that got 15mog pulling a boat was emission safe, don't want to get into my 2 cycle outboard.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
When I was still working for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection as an Aviation Officer, I was the Chief in charge of helicopter maintenance. I used to commute in my uniform if I was running late and one morning I stopped for gas in the Healey on the way to work. I wasn't paying attention as a big vehicle pulled in on the other side of the pumps. After a few seconds I heard a voice say, " boy, you don't see that every day". I smiled and poked my head around the pump to see another CAL FIRE guy in uniform with a State vehicle and before he could say anything I said " it's a '56 Austin Healy 100", being sure that is what he was about to ask. He replied " oh no, I meant another CAL FIRE guy at the pumps, even a Chief". The young pup wasn't interested in the car.

On another occasion at the urging of a gearhead neighbor of mine I took the Healey to an informal show and shine in Winters, CA that they do every month in season. They block ocff the main street and classic cars just grab a head in parking slot and you can come and go as you please. Street food lots of people etc. I had not been before and my wife and I drove the 10 miles to town and as I turned down the main drag people started looking at us as if we had just arrived from Venus and didn't know the local custom of wearing clothing. Half way down the street there was someone helping folks park and he just sort of stared at us with a wrinkled brow as we rolled past. I then realized that there were zero foreign cars on display. Only US muscle and classic custom stuff. Believe it or not, we just drove home. These two episodes made me realize not everyone thinks my car is the best thing since sliced bread.

Country flag
Roscoe, you should try the Dixon Show (UBSCC from Sacramento). About 250 assorted only British cars. (Rained out two years ago and Virus this year canceled this great event. They have a "flea market" of British parts and books.) Right, Jerry C?