• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2002 Accord problem

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It did it again just as it did last November. Stalled a couple of times while slowing down for a light, but this afternoon, it refused to start. Engine cranked over normally but no joy. Wife and I pushed it out of the way as it was blocking garage. As she could not turn steering wheel, she attempted a start and it came to life. We parked it and I came out of the house with my meter and checked the battery. 12.67 at rest, 14.62 charging. Normal. I had changed the battery in November and that seemed to cure the problem - until now. Oh how lucky we are with our LBCs - easy to diagnose and easy to fix (mostly) with a few simple tools. I'm at a loss with this one and since its intermittent, I won't find it anyway most likely. Known problems are the ignition switch and the fuel pump module. I'm leaning towards the module as it seems to be starving for fuel when it dies. Most ignition problems are sudden. Any ideas?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Was it raining? Gone through car wash? We had a run on cars in our shop one time, when they drive through a puddle or a car wash with undercarriage spray, the crank sensor would get wet and kill the car. Upon towing to shop, we found it by spraying sensor with water. Once it dried, either from engine heat or sitting it would start back up. Just an idea.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It had drizzled overnight with light rain but car was parked in front of garage. It was dry and sunny the last few days when car acted up again. My guess is the main relay under the dashboard. Seems to be a common problem with these cars when they get older. But why intermittent?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Intermittent to drive you crazy! And then your mechanic can't find it because it doesn't do it for them.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do all of the dash lights flicker when trying to re-start it?
If they do, it could be a bad ignition switch.
The next time it shuts down take note of the warning lights on the dash while attempting to restart it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have a look:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I guess that test only works when the switch is bad. I don't recall ever seeing flashing lights at any time. There may have been a recall on the switch way back. Can't recall. We've had this car for 19 years, longest we've ever owned a car. Best all-around car I've ever owned. Wife loves it because she sits up high and the steering wheel is adjustable. About 202 hp and very fast. Still on the original shocks and struts at 162,500 miles. Brakes are a little sketchy compared to the Alfa and Subaru and I never use the traction control. Burns no oil and gets about 25 mpg on regular gas, even Sunoco 87. Leather upholstery with no tears, sunroof which we never use and decent sized trunk that holds 3 full golf bags.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I’m not saying the switch is your problem but may be something to consider. After nineteen years the switch contacts could be worn. Take notice of the dash lights the next time it happens.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Wife drove the car Monday. Sure enough, it stalled out and then restarted after a few seconds. Cars piled up behind her...I drove it all over yesterday hoping it would stall out but it ran perfectly - like a new car. What would you do?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Buy her a reliable car, I don't think she can hint any better. After 18 yrs it's time. My wife drove a 1973 GT6 for 10 yrs, 190K miles, then a 1986 Ford E150 extended van (used as camper and boat hauler) for 14 yrs, 180K miles and then her 1996 Land Rover Discovery for 15 yrs, 190K miles. Then she picked a 2011 MINI Countryman S, now with 55K miles, will have to pry her out of it as I did all of the others.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I had an older Accord (late 90's). It would stall at a light, and refuse to restart. Also after it was parked. Then a little later, it would start. Turned out it was the igniter.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Doesn't seem like my problem. It starts right up again. Heat is no factor. I Googled the ignitor problem. Because it dies slowly, I think its fuel related.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Have you checked fuel pressure. Put a vacuum gauge on engine and run to driver seat, put on fuel pressure gauge tape so you can see it. I had a Ford van that lost vacuum and slowed down, then I noticed fuel pressure was low. Started tracing it and I thought it was a fuel filter as pressure was goid then bad then good. Replace a lot of stuff dealer said was wrong including cats. I had my tools at my worksite and van wouldn't go over 35. Called a dealer 25 miles away took and hour to get there. Gave them a list of everything I did. Went home for Labor Day weekend. As soon as I got home I got a call that it was done. Went back and they brought out an older man who said with all the things I did it could only have been the back filter. My Fird dealer said leave it as it's only purpose was to be a tank for the high pressure pump. Showed me it was full of wax is the lube for fuel. Probably not your problem but it probably is something easy.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I ain't got no got vacuum gauge and if I did have it, I wouldn't know where to hook it up to. My knowledge of cars ends about 1976. I take one look at these modern engines and slam the hood down. I can check the oil, add washer fluid & brake fluid - maybe even power steering fluid, but beyond that lies a mystery.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - I'm thinking the PGM-FI relay (electronic fuel injection board main relay) is failing.

https://youtu.be/6CMZ4g8n0FQ

If you're not a whiz in computerized electronic fuel injection (and what mere mortal is ???), take it to a reliable Honda shop for scan test and probable relay replacement.

Tom M.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
That's what we'll have to do. They may just start throwing new parts at it hoping for a bullseye hit. This is one time that you're hoping the thing just dies for good - then you'll know. When it runs 99% of the time, it runs perfectly. Baffling. If the Alfa develops a similar problem, I'll be just as stumped - Bosch fuel injection, many warning lights - the works. So far, so good.

Country flag
Our 2003 Pilot had an intermittent, seemingly random stalling problem too. It was the control module under the dash $50+/-, take about an hour to replace. Found the solution on YouTube. The dealer we've gone to for years wanted to know if we wanted it towed to the scrap yard.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I took the Accord out today on an important run - to get 2 bottles of wine to go with pizza tonight and another couple coming over. It ran like a top.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
How long did it spin? :encouragement:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
About 10 minutes driving time. Left turn out of driveway, right at light, down hill to caution light, left at caution light and turn into driveway of liquor store. Going back home, reverse direction. Pizza was good too - real thin crust.