• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Will these skills be lost or passed on?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - all is not lost!

Photo of one of our smiths teaching an intern in the 1802 Moses Wilder shop.

smiths.jpg
www.osv.org

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And a well equipped shop!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have thought about taking over the forge at our local museum for the living history days. This fall that won't be happening, **** by the time I'm able to there is a good chance they will have already gotten someone else.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
one of the really great things about youtube actually - that it preserves some of this. I read a couple years ago about a guy deciding that if he was going to eat a 100 mile diet he should try hunting. He was out there with his ipad learning how to dress a deer.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Time for a joke; A tourist goes behind the the gate at a Smiths shop. after a minute or so he picks up a horse shoe that had just cooled below red. As he dropped it the smithy say HOT. No the tourist said just does not take me long to look at a horse shoe. In a word of advice! In an auto garage if the owner says keep out do it! It only takes a second for a Mec. to get hurt making sure do not. Madflyer

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Time for a joke; A tourist goes behind the the gate at a Smiths shop. after a minute or so he picks up a horse shoe that had just cooled below red. As he dropped it the smithy say HOT. No the tourist said just does not take me long to look at a horse shoe. In a word of advice! In an auto garage if the owner says keep out do it! It only takes a second for a Mec. to get hurt making sure do not. Madflyer

Grand Old Opry routine. along with cousin draggin' a chain down th' street... when asked why he was draggin' it, the reply was: "Ever try pushin' one a these things?"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Impressive, but what would that cost? And it would only serve the single purpose, unlike the wire hangers you can keep in the boot. Those can be used for a number of duties, like an emergency exhaust hanger or to tie down some errant bit while on the road. :wink:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
In an emergency, I've even used wire hangers for welding rods after cleaning one up, nice soft steel. :encouragement:

Impressive, but what would that cost? And it would only serve the single purpose, unlike the wire hangers you can keep in the boot. Those can be used for a number of duties, like an emergency exhaust hanger or to tie down some errant bit while on the road. :wink:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Corvair owner should always carry bailing (baling?) wire to make a field repair when your transaxle falls out after the bolt breaks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In an emergency, I've even used wire hangers for welding rods after cleaning one up, nice soft steel. :encouragement:

:thumbsup:

I was reluctant to mention the cheap welding rod substitute, Paul... but I've used 'em for that as well. A quick-n-dirty patch on an ex-girlfriend's 128 Fiat wagon was one instance.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Corvair owner should always carry bailing (baling?) wire to make a field repair when your transaxle falls out after the bolt breaks.

Funny you mentioned that. My dad and I were setting at a traffic light behind a not so nice Corvair, when the light changed he gunned the engine and popped the clutch, the whole engine and it looked like part of the transmission fell out! He was dead in the middle of the intersection, we didn't stick around to see the aftermath! :highly_amused: Never saw that happen since. Of course, haven't followed another Corvair lately.:encouragement: