• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A SU carb. Acts like an expansion valve !

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
Went from 83mm to 87mm, did the break in run and proceeded to re-tune the carbs. In the process, I touched the rear carb and it was ice cold. also that half of the intake manifold was also cold. Had tried to degree the valve timing when the engine was torn down. Was this the error? Plugs 3&4 were wet. 1&2 ok. Plug wires all ok. Advice please.

1960 TR3A

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Double check that the choke is not still holding the jet down. Or that the jet is not fully up. If okay there then retune the rear carb. It is running rich.

OP

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
A lot on my plate right now, but the choke is not even hooked up, the jet is fully home, the adjuster nut was at 12 flats and piston is not real smooth. Thanks all for the input. With time, I am about to remove carb and inspect. The float valve etc. looked ok.

LeT

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The problem might be the link that holds and connects the 2 carbs together. Like Goe stated these cars will run kinda ok on one carb.
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
How are you balancing the airflow between the carbs? That is always step one to tuning the SU's.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The other early step is to make sure the jet depth is the same on both carbs:

Numerous tuners advocate using the tail of a dial caliper to measure the depth of the jet from the bridge. Des Hammill suggests .050"/1.25mm as a starting setting for 1-3/4" SUs. Then make adjustments from there for correct running.

When it runs properly, per APT in Riverside CA (Triumph dyno tuners), average the jet depth. For instance, if one carb is .060" and the other is .050", set them both to .055".

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, I like that--- always like new smart ideas. I am not sure if I am interpretation correct. Are you proposing to pull the piston and needle out and off and then look into the jet orifice and see if the jet is down from the top .050?
steve

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve, I like that--- always like new smart ideas. I am not sure if I am interpretation correct. Are you proposing to pull the piston and needle out and off and then look into the jet orifice and see if the jet is down from the top .050?
steve

Steve,
Apologies for not being clear. Yes - pull the dome, piston and spring and measure straight down from the bridge to the jet surface. Be sure to keep each piston with the same dome, as they're a matched pair.

OP

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
This whole issue started over 1 year ago when it would not start. About a year ago, I started the rebuild (I found 2 exhaust valves that were pocketed). After I installed a genuine SU rebuild kit, was now running at about 1 gallon per 10 minutes.

Now, with both jets turned to Zero flats, almost right. Re-examines the carbs, only to find the rear carb has a .125" jet! (factory supplied). The front carb has std .100" jet. Now I can tune a well behaved engine.

By the way, the rear carb was at about 55 degrees F. with the front at like mid 80s Now at about equal temp. Question: can temperature be used as a tuning tool?

Thanks to all who helped with the problem. LeT