• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bumperless

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So on a whim I removed the front bumper off My White BJ8. I kinda like to look. I did as much digging here and the interweb as I could but can't find much on mounting Sprite over-riders on the rear. Those of You that have gone bumperless , what are You doing in the back? I found pics of Randy Forbes nerf bars so I'm guessing homemade brackets? Anybody have a drawing or specs for rear brackets?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Cut the rear bumper brackets short and weld on a vertical piece with vertical slotted holes spaced to match the Sprite bumperettes.
SAM_1287.jpg

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
AH Spares sell a pair of brackets that fit nicely. They have the Sprite or Rally bumpers as well.
Lin

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I used the Rear Overrider Conversion Kit from Cape International (their part #RALLY01). Bolts right into the same places as the rear bumper and fits perfect.

IMG_0504.jpeg

D

Deleted member 21878

i bought AH spares rally bumpers and brackets. fit very nicely.

Need to make sure whatever you do, you allow enough room for the trunk to open by them.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So on a whim I removed the front bumper off My White BJ8. I kinda like to look. I did as much digging here and the interweb as I could but can't find much on mounting Sprite over-riders on the rear. Those of You that have gone bumperless , what are You doing in the back? I found pics of Randy Forbes nerf bars so I'm guessing homemade brackets? Anybody have a drawing or specs for rear brackets?

I've always thought the Austin Healey rear-end had the best curves of any car. The stock bumpers only interrupt the beautiful flowing lines.
The Sprite/Rally rear bumpers really don't provide any real impact protection, so IMHO why detract from the natural beauty of the Healey's design by adding them.

414 Rolex Rear.jpg

414 lift Rear.jpg

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had the AH Spares brackets and Sprite bumpers on a previous car but I prefer the complete bumperless look than I have on my current one. For those that don't wantto permanently fill in the holes for the bumper brackets, AH Spares and others sell oval shaped rubber grommets which press in.

OP
B

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm not sure the no rear bumper look won't attract attention from the authorities around here. If I go driving lights in the front that seems to trick the mind into thinking theres some kind of bumper up there.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dougieā€™s looks way better with the holes properly filled than just with painted grommets, thatā€™s just wrong .
Im going bumperless on my 62 Rally recreation .

Dougie , why the leather spare tire boot strap to hold the boot closed , is it just for safety reason in the event of a rear ender or is it a requirement for vintage racing ?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ruddspeed write-up quotes 240 dyno hp at the flywheel. Anyone have a reference as to how to achieve that? (I'm just dreaming!) Doug

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dougieā€™s looks way better with the holes properly filled than just with painted grommets, thatā€™s just wrong .
Im going bumperless on my 62 Rally recreation .

Dougie , why the leather spare tire boot strap to hold the boot closed , is it just for safety reason in the event of a rear ender or is it a requirement for vintage racing ?

Yes, additional boot locking mechanism is needed in vintage racing.

HSC Frame.jpg

D

Deleted member 21878

i also made a little bracket that fits to the tag holder and holds the tag light. the tag bolts hold it on and it does not show. no need to drill holes in the body for it that way and can be put back to the proper bumper configuration if wanted.

TONTONGUIGUI

Freshman Member
Country flag
healey modif.jpg

the brackets of ah spare or limora or moss have been slightly modified to stick as close as possible to the bodywork ... it is a complete kit