• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tree Sap Damage Covered?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Friend has a new Subaru, less than half a year old. Parked under the wrong tree, got major tree Sap or plant gunk stains. Took it to the dealer, they said they couldn’t get it out/off by cleaning and are balking at doing more. Paint is specifically guaranteed for three years. She says she washes the car weekly, so not like it sat on it for a long time.
A quick search of the Google’s brought up plenty about tree Sap damage, but not much about warrantee coverage. Any thoughts or experience?

Not interested in how to get it off so much as if anyone has any thought or experience on whether the manufacturers guarantee would cover this?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Same experience here on my Altima two years ago. Car insurance didn't cover it for me, but might it might be covered in your friend's own car insurance. Subaru car warranty wouldn't cover damage caused by something not manufactured by Subaru. Remember, the paint isn't failing; the paint is being damaged by the sap.

Hope this helps.
Tom M.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Tom, I do understand it is not an inherent defect like paint peeling, fading, or crazing, bit flip side is, wouldnt it be reasonable to assume a car would be exposed to certain elements that are usual, common, and expected, and therefore the car should be able to withstand those elements? Owner says she washes the car once a week or more and has records of it. So not like she let it sit on the car for weeks. I can argue either way.

However, I talked to her tonight, she says she wants a new car out of it, there are about 5 spots or stains no bigger than an inch on hood, trunk and bumpers. I told her a full replacement was very unlikely, I was trying to be polite. Best I could see her getting is a repaint.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
How about her car insurance? Seems the car is "damaged", so her car insurance might pay. (Or if the tree belongs to someone else, maybe their insurance would pay?)

She wants a new car out of it? What planet does she live on ...?

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, I don't see the new car happening, I mentioned insurance and she doubled down on the new car thing. I said I really didn't see that happening.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
... wouldnt it be reasonable to assume a car would be exposed to certain elements that are usual, common, and expected, and therefore the car should be able to withstand those elements?....
It is neither reasonable to expect nor even physically possible to formulate a finish system that can withstand every conceivable form of environmental attack. Chemistry doesn't work that way.

That said, tree sap is a pretty common form of contamination and in many but not all instances can be addressed by a skilled detailer.

Although, with her attitude, I wouldn't steer her toward any of my friends in the detailing biz.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've removed pine sap using a clay bar before. You might advise them to try that.