• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Garmin GPS sampling rate?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have a Garmin in our Healey and use it as a speedometer (the Toyota trans/speedometer combination is set up for a 3.54 ratio diff. vs our 3.91, and the speedo itself seems inconsistent, relative to the GPS). However, it seems to jump around more that I would expect (i.e. speed changes of several km/hr without the regular speedometer shifting nor with an obvious change in engine noise etc.).

ANyone know what the sampling rate is that the Garmin would use? (couldn't find anything on the Internet) I'm wondering if perhaps the sample rate isn't high enough to smoothly pick up speed changes. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Doug

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Country flag
I believe there is a very slight "reporting" delay with any satellite presentation but it is very accurate. More accurate than any car that does not use the original tires and with other modifications. I'm not sure what you meant by jumping around. I would believe the Garmin over 50+ year old technology.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a Wahoo device on my road cycle and notice that The speed will jump around when riding along narrow wooded
roads with high trees, it soon corrects itself, I guess when it gets a clearer signal.