• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

30 years later

Mike in Boise

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have owned the TR3 for way too long, lots of projects keep getting in the way but now is the time to start again.
We did a cosmetic restoration about 25 years ago or so and drove it for a short time but couldn't get rid of the shimmy.
Took the front suspension apart to rebuild and found the drivers side shock tower had been bent and straightened but
all the bracing that was bent up was just cut out and the tower tack welded back. Scared the whatever out of me and
the car has been sitting since...
I found a new, to me, frame about 15 years ago, and now being retired I need another project.
The floor pans were mostly fiberglass over rust holes.
So here I am looking for info on moving to a new frame and floor pans.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Mike! Sad how life gets in the way of stuff sometimes, but it's good that you've at least held on to the beastie all these years. You'll find plenty of help, advice, and commiseration over on the TR section here on BCF. Plenty of resources for parts for these cars, and lots of knowledge available to you here.

So let's get this done! :hammer:

:cheers:
Mickey

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Mike

Welcome to the forum.

You will find the Triumph section is very active so you will get plenty of tips and advice there for your restoration. If you are replacing the floor pans and/or inner sills be sure to weld braces in the door gaps.

David

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Do as much as you can on the old frame then make sure the doors fit good. Weld bracing in the door gaps to prevent the body moving before you lift it off the frame. Some even do cross bracing to prevent the body twisting.

David