• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Upholstery Secrets Exposed

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Some of you probably already knew this.

I'm reupholstering my TR3 with one of Skinner's kits, in Stone color, previously the interior was black. It's pretty much all done, save for the dash (which I saved for last waiting to get a new wiring harness). A fellow local club member is restoring another 1957 TR3 and asked to trade his dash for mine, as mine is still in good shape, to which I agreed. His vinyl was not, but the metal was, so it made no difference to me.

In removing his old original vinyl off the dash, center gauge and glove box, I discovered that the vinyl was not glued to the faces, but glued only to the back and/or sides. Evidently it was wrapped around the edge and glued to the back, then was pulled tight and glued to the other edge/side. I first noticed this on the center gauge panel, which only had glue on the back around the edges; the face had no glue, nor did the vinyl covering it (but of course thought about it after I had already glued new vinyl to the face). The gauges and switches held the vinyl to the face. I then noticed the same thing on the glove box lid (the plywood was in excellent shape). I think the dashboard though, was spot glued to some of the more difficult curved areas. I was able to remove the vinyl without leaving much glue, only in the more difficult tightly curved areas. The dashboard also had been painted a reddish-brown primer, both sides, again this was original.

The dashboard also had the edge clips along the bottom, three in a row at the far edge curves, two on either side of the curve around the center panel and one between the center gauge curve and the U-shaped cut-out for the steering column. Sort of under the tachometer.

I plan to glue the vinyl to the dash face as I don't think I could successfully stretch it smooth with all the compound curves. My apologies to any future restorer of my car...

All three of the items had been marked in pencil "941" denoting the last three digits of my friend's car's commission number (TS19941L), the center gauge panel also had "LHD" and the worker's initials or partial name (which I couldn't read). The "LHD" notation directed the correct placement of the gauges.

Some might notice that the spire clip at the top of the glove box area (in the middle) is bent up slightly. That's because the glove box interior is mounted at a slight angle relative to the dash, which itself is at an angle facing away from the cockpit occupants. The glove box interior is then flat, or slightly downward, as a result.

Interesting tidbits for those restoring their cars in an original manner.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Good stuff! I find it interesting forensically figuring out how things were put together long ago. Many of the methods and techniques are already lost. Just look at the arches in the brick forts of the 19th century, that were assembled without mortar...or the wood workmanship in the few wooden sailing vessels still preserved.

OP
ckeithjordan

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, John. It is fun to try to figure out ā€œhow they did it.ā€ When we try to reverse engineer things, I think we tend to leave out the (then current) context, such as work rules, location, tool availability, etc. I believe our cars were/are remarkable, in that they were relatively inexpensive mostly hand-built cars that run after 60+ years with a modicum of upkeep.

James Christie

Freshman Member
Country flag
Keith, Dare I make suggestion if you are not a purist? Paint the back of the dashboard white while you can, it makes life a lot easier later on when lying on your back and digging through the ratā€™s nest of wires.
I too changed my upholstery from black to stone with a kit from Skinner, all with a view to brightening things up a bit (the car is Signal Red). However, sometimes I regret it as it donā€™t ā€˜alf show the dirt...

james

OP
ckeithjordan

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, James. I've given it some thought, though haven't committed yet. The dash metal has been sanded and cleaned up, so now is the time. I'm currently agonizing over whether to drill a new hole for the driving lights switch.

And yes, even though the new upholstery is a couple of months old, it does show "dirt" here and there. It's just a reminder to keep it clean!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Since I have that really light tan upholstery, and I usually miss cleaning all the grease off of me, I use the rubber mats to protect the floor carpet and then I home made a set of furry tan seat covers. They are ugly as all get out, but should keep my tan seat covers...well...tan, for a long time. I also made a set of furry grey covers for my teenage daughter's convertible beetle seats, but she refused to use them. Go figur!