• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New guy

ahsv6

Freshman Member
Country flag
I’ve had my Bugeye since ‘75. I drove it to college and finally wore out the engine. I tore it down for a rebuild and ended up with maximum recommended bore and the crank at the minimum but I kept driving it for a while. After awhile I started thinking of what to do next. It was a retired racer and at the time I didn’t think it worthy of restoration. Looking back, that was just the ignorance of youth but led to the installation of a 2.6 liter
V-6 from a Capri. That project morphed into an 8 point cage, coil over rear suspension etc.
i drove the car for 5 years and then stored it, bringing it out for the occasional drive. I took on another major product which kept me from the car for the most part.
Fast forward quite a few years and I decided to do the car again and do it better. I’ve bought a new Ford Zetec from England with ITB’s from Omex. It’s advertised as 170 hp so more than the V6 and lighter as well.
I have just started the tear down so nothing exciting happening yet.

Steve

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Ahsv6

Welcome to the forum.

The Spridgets section will be interested to hear about your transformation of your Bugeye and will be able to offer tips and advice for your project.

Post some photos of your Bugeye.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF Steve! I see you joined several years ago! Glad you finally too the plunge into the forum - hope we see you around!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sounds like a great project, welcome! what are you using for a transmission?

OP
A

ahsv6

Freshman Member
Country flag
I purchased a T5 from Modern driveline here in Idaho. They offer a better selection of gears and an input shaft that matches up to the Zetec pilot bearing. They also have an option to locate the shifter forward which works out well for Spridgets. I also bought what may be the last bell housing produced by Quad 4 Rods to tie the two together.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hey Steve, since you're not too far from Boise, did you my any chance knoe a guy named Dave Russell? (Austin Healey guy)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
No, I haven’t crossed paths with him. We have only been here for a few years.

He was a former member who, unfortunately, passed away a few years ago. He was one of the more frequent visiters here and always super helpful. You'd have liked him.