• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Contaminated gas can

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My "Tennessee Linemen" asked if I had any gasoline and I gave them the can I use for the lawn tractor containing about a gallon. When they gave it back to me, they warned my wife "tell your husband not to use it. It'll ruin his engine!". I was in the house at the time. Two questions. 1. What is in there? My guess is two-cycle mixture for the chainsaws they used to free up the power line. 2. How do I get rid of it? By chance, I do have another gas can (metal - very heavy, Army Jerry can) and I suppose I could pour the mixture into that, still leaving me with two problems: Where do I dump that, and more important, how can I clean the plastic gas can to get rid of the residue that I'm sure will gum up my engine and fill the air with oil smoke? Luckily, I don't use that gas in my car with fuel injection. Bye bye injectors. BTW - my landline is still down, buried under fallen trees.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've found that kerosene works decently for cleaning out gas cans. Afterwards I pour the remains out into a drum and burn it.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I started to pour the contents into the jerrycan. It's a clear blueish liquid - no trace of visible oil. What color is gasoline? What else could it be? I'm sorry I wasn't there when they left the can.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Some 2 stroke oil is blueish and you will not see any trace of oil as it mixes with the gas.

Can you pour it into an open container and let it evaporate?

David

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I poured some on a piece of white paper and let it evaporate. Just left a stain. No oily residue. It is also a bit more greenish blue as it poured out. At any rate, I now have 5 gallons of mystery fuel that I offered to my landscapers now using chain saws and a wood chipper removing the downed trees from my yard.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Yard work finished. Just need Optimum and Frontier to come and install lines. Landscaper didn't take the gas can. Anyone want a red jerrycan filled with blue/green gas???I left it out. Maybe someone will steal it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I wonder if it was bar and chain oil?

193432_00429567_001_l.jpg

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
What do I have to do now - buy a chainsaw? I had one some years ago. Gave it to a client of mine because I could never get it started after the first month. BTW, my landscaper did a terrific job of clearing up my property yesterday. Brought a crew of 6, chainsaws, wood chipper, leaf blowers and my property never looked so good. Now Optimum and Frontier have to show up and reset the lines.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A yard man may be happy to take it. They could always add a bit more mix to it just to be sure. How much do you have in your can?

David

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Full 5 gallons.
I'm surprised my yard guy didn't want it. I told him I wasn't 100% sure what it was but your picture confirmed it.
Want to drive up to CT and pick it up?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm probably gonna take some flak for this, but why don't you put just a little bit of it at a time in your car's/truck's tank and use it up? Check this out: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2003-05-22-0305220254-story.html
No flak from me. I keep a gallon can of 2-cycle gas/oil mixture in the garage for my scooters. At the end of the season I add a little of whatever is left to full tanks of gas in my car.
Since I only add very little at a time I’ve never had a problem.