• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well that was different

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
A week or so ago the oven quit on the stove. Much interweb research said 9 times out of 10 it was the igniter. Bought a new igniter, nada. Called a a guy (it is a gas stove and there are limits to my experimentation). Turns out it was the 1 out of 10th time and is (probably) the board though maybe also the gas valve. Either way the prospect of paying $500 to repair a 15 year old stove didn't make sense.

Went to return the igniter. Was told by both employees at the parts store four reasons why they couldn't accept it as a return. I just kept my mouth shut. He processed the return, (during the last two reasons) didn't even charge the restocking fee. I thanked them profusely and got out of there as quick as possible. weird.

In other news we bought a new fridge and stove today on account of they gotta match (of course). Got a pretty good deal but, fridge is back ordered until mid November and stove is a month away.

Had to make an appointment to enter the store and of course mask all the time - it is a very different world.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Feel for ya, friend. Luckily, we replaced range and fridge a few years ago. But the range has a black cooktop... I highly recommend against that. A real bear to keep clean.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ouch... you can never plan for large purchases.
The only appliance that we have replaced to date is our dishwasher. Our GE Monogram refrigerator/freezer is still going strong after 31 years. A few times a year I vacuum the dust off of the cooling fins and that's about it for maintenance.
I hope you get many years of care-free use from your new appliances.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
For the last 8 or 9 years, we've had a glass cooktop. Only had to replace one switch. Easy to clean without those metal grates on top. Use a razor blade scraper on the baked-on stuff and a paper towel and some special cleaner to keep it shiny and new looking. And wouldn't you know - of course Consumer's rated it the worst of the bunch. Some of their ratings are suspect.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Had a gas stove a few years ago. Had a problem that I thought I had narrowed down to the gas valve. You could tap the valve and it would light up. Not the problem. The part store thought it could be the burner unit. Not the problem.
Turned out to be a high resistance on the igniter. It would glow but not always pull in the gas valve.
By that time I was in too deep to deep to put out more on a poor excuse for a stove.
Bought an electric one. Much better but we do still have the Original gas cook top.

David

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The store we got them from we have used before to good effect. The guy basically narrowed it down to two sets - and some latitude on both, quick math and one pair was $800 cheaper - guess which we picked.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
When I built the house a 27" oven was the average or normal size.

After the second gas oven bit the dust I was looking for a Fan oven like I had in England. Had to be 27" as that was the cabinet size. After a lot of searching I came across a Miele oven that fit the bill. On getting the pamphlet my wife said that oven opening is smaller than the microwave. We will be having a Christmas chicken as a turkey will not fit.
More searching and while visiting the local appliance store the owner said "I have a deal for you" He had a Bosch fan oven on clearance for $400.00 was originally $2500.00 but Bosch were changing the cabinet size by a little. Bought it on the spot but I now needed a bigger wall unit. I had been bugging him for a while that was why he knew I would be interested.
No cabinet maker wanted to do one unit. Finally found a company that could help.
I lifted the gas oven out by myself but it took two of us to get the Bosch oven off the floor and into the new cabinet.

Davd

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
When I built the house a 27" oven was the average or normal size.

After the second gas oven bit the dust I was looking for a Fan oven like I had in England. Had to be 27" as that was the cabinet size. After a lot of searching I came across a Miele oven that fit the bill. On getting the pamphlet my wife said that oven opening is smaller than the microwave. We will be having a Christmas chicken as a turkey will not fit.
More searching and while visiting the local appliance store the owner said "I have a deal for you" He had a Bosch fan oven on clearance for $400.00 was originally $2500.00 but Bosch were changing the cabinet size by a little. Bought it on the spot but I now needed a bigger wall unit. I had been bugging him for a while that was why he knew I would be interested.
No cabinet maker wanted to do one unit. Finally found a company that could help.
I lifted the gas oven out by myself but it took two of us to get the Bosch oven off the floor and into the new cabinet.

Davd

We have 24" units in the apartment - easy to find replacements but, not a huge lot of options. When the fridge died my neighbour across the street happened to be having a garage sale with an apartment sized fridge $25 - hurray!

We were walking around the store while the salesman was getting info and they has a La Cornue (google it) stove. On sale from 54k to 30k - probably 4 or more feet wide - gorgeous but.....

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The owner of the store I got our oven said he did high end kitchens for people and they never cooked anything they just wanted the show kitchen with the Gagganeu appliances or better.

Some people need to impress their friends.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The owner of the store I got our oven said he did high end kitchens for people and they never cooked anything they just wanted the show kitchen with the Gagganeu appliances or better.

David

Same in this neck o' the woods. Neighbors put solar panel array on their roof - on the *north* side, so neighbors would see it.

yeesh

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
David said:

We were lucky with the replacement, Went to a charity event with a 'silent auction' a number of years ago. Mitsy bid $200 on a fridge and won it, then a friend with a catering business won an electric range. He didn't want or need it so offered it to Mits, for free. Both units are 'low-end' ones but still functioning, so the two Franklin chance has paid a real dividend IMO. It's the food coming out of those appliances that can impress. :wink:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice! - but that dent on the back wall above the top shelf really bothers me.
I think I'll pass.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Ordered a new upright freezer from Lowes about a month ago, after checking why it's taking so long to get it, we were informed it might not be here until October! We have a chest freezer, but wanted to replace it with an upright so we don't have to sort down through a pile of stuff just to get one item and naturally, what you want is always on the bottom! Looks like most upright freezers that are under $2500.00 are made in China. :censored:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They make Sun Frost refridgerators in Arcata,Ca.The difference is
that they put the motor on TOP of them,rather than the bottom.Doesn't that
seem like the way it should be?
They aren't cheap,& they don't make side-by-side models.

http://sunfrost.com