• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Got My New Plates for the Truck Today

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
good for you! personalized plates are too expensive here. which sux on account of I always wanted a set that says

REVD UP

:grin:

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I used to get them when I was in CA,but stopped when it got to be $70+ extra/year.
I had "1979" on my '79 Ford Fiesta,& later "11 10THS",& TYOTA on my '77 Toyota pu.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Like the plate.
Got this for my TR3A
Tag.jpg
What is up with your post "Thought you were having a bad day" Keeps dumping me out of the forum?

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks! I don't know why it wouldn't take.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Here in Illinois those plates would $161 a yr. Have them on one car. They also added $100 a yr to trailer plates.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Not inexpensive in Oregon, but pleased to still be able to keep mine (because the word is on the list of banned plates here - and it was a bit of a struggle to get and keep it). :cool:

last use of Boink.jpg

They have since discontinued the "Oregon Trail" plate in favor of several alternatives.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:eagerness:

Country flag
Here in Ohio I have year of manufacture plates for the old cars. When I get it back on the road the ones for the 38 were a commerative plate, "150 years NW territories" with a covered wagon. You display them and heep the historic plates in the car. Couple years ago they changed the requirements, used to be if stopped you had to show you were coming ro going to an event, no joy riding. Now the first 2k miles are unlimited each year and since they don't track starting number efffectively everything is unlimited use.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That's the problem here with Vintage/Antique plates. 3K mile, to and from show or parade, or to a shop. Same with old car insurance, so I just put reg plates and inurance on them so I can go anywhere. I had JAGFXR on my one Rover and JAGFIXR on my 03 MINI. Lost the Rover's because I put truck plates on this LR4, but I see it is available again.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That's the problem here with Vintage/Antique plates. 3K mile, to and from show or parade, or to a shop. Same with old car insurance, so I just put reg plates and insurance on them so I can go anywhere. I had JAGFXR on my one Rover and JAGFIXR on my 03 MINI. Lost the Rover's because I put truck plates on this LR4, but I see it is available again.

True in Oregon too. The vintage car plates are cheap (and permanent with no renewal required) but, technically, you can only drive to clubs and shows.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My biggest concern with the Bugeye is that I don't have a front plate on. I haven't been caught yet, but technically I could be (and I know someone that was, though that was with a newer car). I could rig something but would rather not.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I carried mail in Columbia, IL, there was a kid driving a 69 Camaro with antique plates everyday to school, Grandpa died and he got the car, to the games etc. One day he Chief of Police, who had a bunch of collector cars, happen to see him on evening after school, pulled him over and had a rant about him driving the car everyday. Told the kid he has a bunch of cars and can't drive them like that and he sure wasn't letting him. Took kid home and made Dad get the car a drive it home. Car sat for a long time until the town car show and he drove it there, with Chief's approval.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Oklahoma tag on the TF. Only requirement is the regular tag must be carried in the car. Wrapped in tissue paper it fits in the door pocket totally out of sight. So actually you have two registrations that must be presented if your stopped. We were checking the tach drive and I got stopped once, for driving 45 MPH in a 50 MPH minimum speed zone zone! There wasn't a car within miles of us! REALLY! :highly_amused:
View attachment 64983

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only one "vanity plate" here: "DIESELA" on the back of the Benz.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The thing that I don't get is that they don't make you turn in
your old plates.Here in VA,you keep your plates when you sell a vehicle.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Same here in Georgia when you sell the vehicle you keep the plates and can transfer them to another vehicle. I did that with my new truck. My old truck had the raised numbers unlike the new plates so just had the plate transferred over. Had to pay a transfer fee and a few $ for the sticker as I fad pealed the 1/8" stack of year stickers off the plate.

David

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Itā€™s the same in MO. If you trade a car on a different on the plates either go on the new one or home with you.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We just started keeping the plates here in Oklahoma. Not sure how this will work out though. The price of yearly registration has always been based on some official value of the vehicle. It costs me 30 or 40 dollars yearly for my 1998 Explorer where a guy registering a relatively new BMW is probably upwards of 800. Now what if I trade the old Ford for a Bimmer? I guess I get the good price at least for another year.