• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SU Carburetor Synchronizing Kit on eBay

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
"SU Carburetor sync synchronizing kit."
Thoughts?

This is on Ebay. FYI $98

"This kit makes it a snap to synchronize your carbs without removing air cleaners or ducting. Simply remove the damper caps and install the collars, insert and zero the gages and adjust the airflow with the air adjustment screw so that both (all 4?) carbs read the same.. Instructions will be provided."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SU-Carbure...179851?hash=item46aee8720b:g:SxgAAOSwSCZbQatk
7E02B4C3-735C-48AB-B568-E29D3FCB6261.jpg591E691A-7759-4297-AFD1-A6B87F8F51F7.jpgA22A6F89-91B5-4EA7-9A85-2D876681440D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: SU Carburetor sync synchronizing kit

That's interesting. They are dial indicators with a treaded collar to fit the damper threads. So they measure the height of the pistons inside.

I'm not sure that would automatically correlate to the actual air flow into the engine - eg, if you had different spring pressures from age or whatever, your pistons might ride at different heights when the actual air flow is the same, conversely if you set the pistons at the same height, the airflow may not be the same. OTOH, they may be spot on.

I guess I'm skeptical and would like to hear some real-world experiences/results - would be good to compare the result of these with manometer or unisyn type measurements.

Anyone tried them?

Dave

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

If the pistons are riding at equal heights then the air flow in each carb is the same, unless the pistons were shaped differently. But I think this tool is a rediculus waist of time. The small wires found in the traditional SU tuning kit do exactly the same thing and are very effective just by observing the position of the wires relative to one another.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag

Interesting that they use a Zenith-Stromberg to illustrate SU! Same principle, of course.

Country flag

The advantage to the wire type is that you can raise the pistons the 1/32 more accurately than pushing up on that hard to reach pin. Plus it is dirt cheap as far as Healey tools go.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

But I think this tool is a rediculus waist of time. The small wires found in the traditional SU tuning kit do exactly the same thing and are very effective just by observing the position of the wires relative to one another.

I was thinking the same thing. It might be minutely more accurate than the two wires, but I can't see it making a hugely noticeable difference in tuning.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

When I saw the ad, I wondered how they worked. I asked the seller if he/she would send me the instructions. Here's the reply.

This video contains the instructions that I send with every SU balancing kit purchase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ih5h1J-AN4
These instructions are on a Silver Cloud with HD8's

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

The advantage to the wire type is that you can raise the pistons the 1/32 more accurately than pushing up on that hard to reach pin. Plus it is dirt cheap as far as Healey tools go.

I use both the Uni-syn Synchronizer and wire guides from the SU Tool kit.

One advantage the wire guides provide is you can visually tell if the interconnecting shaft clamp pins are in the same position between the throttle shaft lever slots on both carbs...after you tighten down the clamp nuts. When you first move the control rod to increase the RMP you'll see if the wires go up the same amount.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

I use both the Uni-syn Synchronizer and wire guides from the SU Tool kit.

One advantage the wire guides provide is you can visually tell if the interconnecting shaft clamp pins are in the same position between the throttle shaft lever slots on both carbs...after you tighten down the clamp nuts. When you first move the control rod to increase the RMP you'll see if the wires go up the same amount.

Also the wire guides allow you to sync the carbs with the air cleaners in place. Seems to me the wire guides give you a better analog view (than the dial indicators) if one of the carbs is lagging. You might have the same vacuum at a steady rpm but one carb might lag getting there. Springs or damper oil would need to be looked at in that case.

The wire guides can be free in that you can make your own from coat hanger wire. The kit is $98 and does it really offer a better job tuning?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I have a UniSyn. It sits in the toolbox.
I use a stethoscope. Works just as well.
Never had any carburetor trouble in 22 years.

OWD724

I find the video slightly confusing. As an HD8 is meant to have the butterfly totally closed at idle, with the air being channeled from in front of the butterfly to behind via a small port, which is controlled by the large volume screw. This effectively is the same as the butterfly being slightly open. Thus you do not normally have an idle screw adjustment screw unlike for example an H6 which has a screw to slightly hold open the butterfly. He appears to adjust a volume screw 2 1/2 turns then later talks about idle screw. My description is exactly as it is done on most HD8’s that I know including E types.