• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Engine removal questions

lordwestbrook

Freshman Member
Happy Saturday everybody!

I'm about to remove the motor in the 3. I'm all by myself but I do have an engine hoist. Would it be easier/smarter to go ahead and separate the trans first before removing?

Thanks!

Jeff

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It is generally easier to remove them together. If you remove the tranny first, you will have to support the rear of the engine, as the front mounts are not designed to prevent the engine from tipping rearward. Plus, the tranny is still about 100lbs and will have to be removed by hand if you separate it first. You have to still remove the tranny manually later, but it is easier to muscle around out of the car rather than inside. But, it’s really your choice.

The only thing to watch in either case...do not remove the head and attempt to lift by the free standing head studs. That is guaranteed to crack your block.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It makes it easier to get the engine/transmission out if you remove the gear lever. When I reinstalled mine I had the gear shift housing removed as well. Made it much easier.

David

OP
L

lordwestbrook

Freshman Member
It is generally easier to remove them together. If you remove the tranny first, you will have to support the rear of the engine, as the front mounts are not designed to prevent the engine from tipping rearward. Plus, the tranny is still about 100lbs and will have to be removed by hand if you separate it first. You have to still remove the tranny manually later, but it is easier to muscle around out of the car rather than inside. But, it’s really your choice.

The only thing to watch in either case...do not remove the head and attempt to lift by the free standing head studs. That is guaranteed to crack your block.

Oh jeez- thats exactly what i just did.... removed the pressure and will find another alternative. Thanks for the heads up!

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don't forget to drain the oils before you lift the engine out, the angle of attack will guarantee sump oil will run out the rear crank seal and make a mess on your garage floor.

Graham

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Oh jeez- thats exactly what i just did.... removed the pressure and will find another alternative. Thanks for the heads up!

I take it you removed the head? Not a big deal...just do not be tempted to attach the chains to the studs without the head. It will pull the studs to the inside, which stresses the cast iron block and the threads will crack. You can use a longer bolt in any of the front plate holes forward...or use the lift ring bolted to the front left side if your engine has one. On the rear, use a longer bolt in one of the bell housing mounting holes, or any other 5/16" or larger holes.

OP
L

lordwestbrook

Freshman Member
Thanks John- I asked a friend previous to reading your post and he said it was perfectly ok- (He’s an American car guy though) so I got it most of the way out using the exposed studs. After I read your post I promptly found another alternative and got the engine the rest of the way out. Lesson learned. Fingers crossed.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If it cracked, it will be a hairline running from the stud threads to the water jacket. It is repairable, but adds some work to the rebuild. Here is a thread about mine that will show where to look...and how to fix if it is cracked. If you miss it and put the engine back together with a hairline crack, coolant will work its way up the stud and come out in the rocker area, or outside the head, depending which one is cracked.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?97470-Block-Crack-Repair