• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Under bonnet fuel

barnman

Country flag
Good evening chaps, just starting to get to the nice bits....discressionary spending!
Bought a 6 branch SS exhaust and looking at the inlet side.
Upgraded the cam from Newman cams...genius old company.. to fast road
Looking at the AH Spares triple weber conversion...is this overkill.....the car will be last nut and bolt rebuild but not a show car. I want it to be fun and a drivers car.
Suggestions/help chaps... always appreciated!!!
Regards Al
If you want to see the car I bought from Denis Collins!!... Fast N Loud season 4 Ep 12..mine is the Blue one
Will post pics at some stage
Regards AL

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I had a discussion about what to do with my engine with Denis Welch, I had headers and fast road cam, he recommended 2 HD8s over triple Webers because the useful range of the SUs was better. The Webers are better at full throttle, of course. I drive fast, but only go full throttle when I have the room, which is not often enough.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Here in the Colonies, with mile upon mile of open, often straight road, highways and freeways the 3.4:1 rearend has longer legs (assuming you have stock 3.9). 'Off-the-line' acceleration suffers a little--Big Healeys aren't generally good drag racers anyway--but the lower noise and vibration at highway speeds is welcome, and first and second gears are more usable (IMO). The uprated OD accumulator from DWM offers a little quicker OD engagement, and I just learned AH Spares has an accumulator with an O-ring instead of iron rings, which should last longer (although I just replaced my accumulator at 205K miles and, although there was some scoring, it was good enough that I 'donated' it to a needy owner). Well-trued and balanced wheels and tires will help minimize the dreaded 'scuttle shake.'

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Twin HD8s work great with a fast road cam. I had that set up on my car then upgraded to the the DWR Rally cam and Triple Weber’s. The HD8 provide more than enough fuelling for the fast road set up. The Webers provide an instant throttle response due to the accelerator pump but are overkill for a road car with a fast road cam. They do look good though.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
From SU CARBURETTERS TUNING TIPS & TECHNIQUES:

SUsizeConfigHp.jpg

Jonstock

Freshman Member
Recently had the engine in my BJ7 rebuilt. Gas flowed head, fast road Kent cam, steel flywheel, Omega pistons, 2 x HD8 carbs, bespoke 6 branch exhaust manifold from Zero, big bore s/s exhaust. Set up on rolling road achieved 172bhp at flywheel. Goes really well, and makes a terrific noise. I have pertronix ignition. I also had the radiator re-cored, and temperature stays at 190C even in the current heatwave

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just curious, what is considered a heat wave in England? We've averaged 95-100degF here in the Central Valley of California for the last couple months (and we've hit 105 more than a few times).

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Just curious, what is considered a heat wave in England? We've averaged 95-100degF here in the Central Valley of California for the last couple months (and we've hit 105 more than a few times).

My theory has long been that anytime the mercury hit 55F, BMC did their hot-weather testing. You know, to really put a strain on the cooling system - take it to the limit, exceed any expected actual use!

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I went to school in the UK in the sixties and when it reached 84℉ we were allowed to take our blazers off and, if you were daring, loosen the tie a smidge!

Danny

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob, I spent most of my life about 20 miles south of you and I can attest that nothing quite feels like driving a Healey with the top down at 5 PM in 105 degrees. You've got furnace blast heat coming at you from all angles.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bob, I spent most of my life about 20 miles south of you and I can attest that nothing quite feels like driving a Healey with the top down at 5 PM in 105 degrees. You've got furnace blast heat coming at you from all angles.

Worst for me was driving through Death Valley in the early summer near (aptly-named) Furnance Creek. Temp was 115degF in the shade and, in addition to the mirages I was hallucinating; my navigator kept misting me to keep me from passing out. Pulling the long grade up the Panamint Mountains the gauge read a steady 212, and that's with the heater on full blast. Still, we made it, and there was a bus and several cars on the side of the road with their bonnets up.