• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from San Diego, mounting tires on wire wheels

TrickorTreat

Freshman Member
Country flag
For any of you living in San Diego, do you know any experienced tire installers that know how to mount on wire wheels?

For an introduction, I am the third owner of a unrestored Triumph 61 TR3A. Haven’t done a lot of work on it, other than getting it running and cleaning out the coolant system.

Of the many projects for this car, I am installing wire wheels but haven’t been able to find a local competent tire installer for wire wheels. Discount tires has said they have several experienced wire wheel installers, but I’m a bit hesitant to use them. Thanks in advance.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did you ask any of the other BMC clubs that may have a vendors MY club keeps a list for just that reason and for members new to Reno NV. Wire wheels in our club are few and do require knowledge. liners and tubes are never seen any more. Liners in place and talc powder a must tubs must be installed with some air as not to pinch at a fold. One TR 6 member had two flats at the same time for just that reason MOSS MOTORS has club list in your area. Madflyer

OP
T

TrickorTreat

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for ideas. That’s the one thing we need to add to our vendor list for the local club, is a reputable wire wheel installer. I’m going right now to check out the other local BMC lists....

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Find an old-time mechanic in your area who knows how to install tubes. That's what I did about 6 years ago on my TR6 with wires and never have had a problem to date.