• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm new.

Paul D

Freshman Member
Hi;
I'm Paul D I live in Halifax,NS,Canada . Not to be confused with Toronto which is 1600Km west
I bought a 1965 Series 1 OTS Jaguar E type from a guy in Pennsylvania 6 years ago. It was in 3000 parts & I trucked it home. About the only thing the guy guaranteed me was that all the parts were there & that they were all appropriate for the year. Well all the parts weren't there & it wasn't even a '65 but a '66 He was good to me though & every time I had a part deficiency he shipped them to me.
Took 3 years to put it together & another 2 to get it painted & an interior from Jonnathan Skinner ( had to take it all apart again, I'm getting good at it )
I'm immensely pleased with the car.
I've joined BCF to monitor /participate in your site to pick up all the experience of all those who have more knowledge than I, carbs, oil leaks ,transmissions,etc
This is my third Jag. I had an e type in 1984 and an xj6 in 1986. They all leaked oil. If it doesn't leak oil it's no ta 4.2L
Thanks for having me.
Paul D

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome Paul, I live in Toronto,ON,Canada. Not to be confused with Halifax which is 1600Km east. :smile:

Sounds like a massive project (I have twice now bought cars in pieces) - any pics?

glad you are here.

:cheers:

RobXK120

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ditto, Paul. Welcome from Sydney - not to be confused with Halifax NS which is 16,809 km North East. I’ve twice bought cars completely in pieces: an SP250 (didn’t put it together, the “one night stand that went awfully wrong” just couldn’t love it’s ugly face!), and a XK 150 (didn’t put it together, lost workshop when Father passed away) and one motorbike; a Vincent Black Shadow. (Imported from England, put completely together: my best restoration ever - bought for (AUD) $7000, finished for $12,000, sold to buy family car for $22,500, (1995) saw one sold this year for $800,000!!). However, I’ve also taken two cars completely to pieces and put them back together: a TR2 and a Daimler 2.5 V8. But now, without workshop and getting on, buy them complete and tinker; my XK 120, (2006-2013), Jaguar 340 (2013-2019) and now my Austin Healey 3000 (2019 to ??). As you can see, I’ve been a Jaguar man most of my car life, and am feeling a bit of a cad and deserter! But intend to return to the fold when SWMBO lets me buy a Mkii.
Suggest 123 Ignition built into Lucas distributor from 123ignitions-conversions.com (Hebels) - makes the six sing! And Dynalite (RAC006 I think) Lucas Dynamo look alike alternator If you haven’t already. Rob.

RobXK120

Freshman Member
Country flag
PS; I’m seriously worried about the Austin Healey. It’s not leaking nearly enough oil to be genuinely British.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Paul Welcome to the forum.

Pieces cars are always a guessing game. Great you had a goor relationship with the PO and got the missing parts.
TR on trailer..jpg
My TR3A kit car.

Posting pictures from your computer. I reduce the size to 1920 x 1080. seems to work well. The icon bar above in the quick reply pane second from the right hand end. Insert image. Click on chose file. Find your file. Then click upload file.

David

OP
P

Paul D

Freshman Member
Hey Rob:
My niece is in Sydney & we've been there twice & loved it both times.
You have quite a British car history but the Healey would be my favorite ..I've already converted to a Powerspark electronic ignition & it really improved things. I looked at all the electronic ignitions that were out there & read all the reviews Decided to go with these guys because the cost was half the others & they had good reviews. When I had questions they came right back with the answers It's in the car now & running very well. I also converted to a Champion alternator.Took a bit of creative bracketry but not difficult to do. This Champion is probably the same as the GM SI 12 that seems so popular as a conversion. Want me to tell you the story of replacing the fuses & how I learned that a Lucas 30 amp & a Boss 30 amp are NOT the same thing. Luck i didn't burn the car & house down. Lots of smoke , no fire & 3 to 4 hours work to replace the wires.
Thanks to both of you for the welcome
paul

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Hey wait...I'm also a Paul D. D for David. I've been known as PD for most of my (so far) long life. Anyway, welcome.

OP
P

Paul D

Freshman Member
Hi David:
Thanks for the info on adding pictures The file was too big so tomorrow i will work on the size & then send it.
Spent many great night in that Corp of Engineers park outside Macon.
Paul

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ditto, Paul. Welcome from Sydney - not to be confused with Halifax NS which is 16,809 km North East. I’ve twice bought cars completely in pieces: an SP250 (didn’t put it together, the “one night stand that went awfully wrong” just couldn’t love it’s ugly face!), and a XK 150 (didn’t put it together, lost workshop when Father passed away) and one motorbike; a Vincent Black Shadow. (Imported from England, put completely together: my best restoration ever - bought for (AUD) $7000, finished for $12,000, sold to buy family car for $22,500, (1995) saw one sold this year for $800,000!!). However, I’ve also taken two cars completely to pieces and put them back together: a TR2 and a Daimler 2.5 V8. But now, without workshop and getting on, buy them complete and tinker; my XK 120, (2006-2013), Jaguar 340 (2013-2019) and now my Austin Healey 3000 (2019 to ??). As you can see, I’ve been a Jaguar man most of my car life, and am feeling a bit of a cad and deserter! But intend to return to the fold when SWMBO lets me buy a Mkii.
Suggest 123 Ignition built into Lucas distributor from 123ignitions-conversions.com (Hebels) - makes the six sing! And Dynalite (RAC006 I think) Lucas Dynamo look alike alternator If you haven’t already. Rob.

and just to be clear Sydney NS Canada is 401 km from Halifax :grin: