• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Plug Your Pipes!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Those of us who store our cars over the winter know how much damage mice can do and their ability to get into the tiniest of spaces. I found a big nest in my heater box this spring when feathers started coming out of my defroster vents while driving. Hard to believe how much rice the little beggars stored in the cylinders of this Healey by traveling up the tailpipes.

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I always use the copper brillo pads cut and put in pipes. I used to work at a Jag shop and customers would tow in there precious toy because of no starts. Fire them up, shoot dog food, baby mice, string, all sorts of stuff. Would back into bay to bare wall. Wall stopped everything, instead of having to clean shop. Found dead mice in brother in laws cabin filter box, stopped them from going in core. Another brother in law couldn't figure his loss of power and bad fuel consumption in a MINI, mouse nest cover 90% of intake in filter box, filter stopped them from entering intake.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Never had mice in my exhaust system but after storing my Healey in a heated garage for over 15 years, I just discovered that a mouse got into the interior and did some damage. The critter entered through the hand brake opening in the fiberglass transmission tunnel from under the car, chewing through the leather (vinyl?) gusset that is part of the tunnel carpet. I set a trap in the car near the hole and caught it within a day. Hopefully there will not be others? I'll need to make a patch to cover the hole and seal the opening in the tunnel with some stainless steel wool. I avoid bringing any kind of food or snacks into the garage to avoid attracting mice, but I guess they must like leather.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I just watched that video the other day. Unbelievable. Have never had an issue (knock wood), but will be using #3 steel wool from now on.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They like to chew leather and vinyl, rubber helps keep teeth in check and they love the seat stuffing and the holes they can nest in behind the dash. I have stripped my MK1 done for blasting and I found a football size nest behind the glove box with another cavity full of acorns. Never rattled when I drove it, then parked in barn for 5 yrs.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
A warning here: If you find rodent droppings steer well clear as they may carry hantavirus. Hantavirus shares several characteristics with Covid-19 including shortness of breath, lung damage, fever and other unpleasant symptoms such as renal pain and damage, urinary tract infections, dizziness. It has been reported that between 36% and 38% of people who contract it die from it. Do not disturb, sweep, vacuum, stir up the droppings in any way as the spores become airborne and are highly contagious. The only way they should be handled is by picking them up carefully with a damp cloth and disposing of them in a sealed plastic bag. Only do so if you are wearing PPE - N-95 mask and disposable nitrile gloves. I say this as I have contracted it on more than one occasion - despite taking what I thought were adequate precautions. Symptoms have started with a spacey feeling and echoing in the head followed by a blinding headache, muscle pain, kidney pain, burning and passing blood when urinating and a high fever with chills, shivering and burning up. I have spent 24 hours plus curled up in a fetal position riding out a fever of 104 degrees. Please do not mess with the droppings and do not take any risks.

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/diagnosis.html

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229363

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thank you Guido for that advice.

And I saw that video the other day. What a mess those mice made of that engine! Plugging the exhaust pipes sounds good but I have to place a reminder somewhere or otherwise, I will attempt to start her forgetting the plugs are in place.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have heard dryer sheets keep them away any body else know of that?? I have an ultrasonic unit in my garage have had no problems. Something to try also. I think barns are the big problem a friends Lotus lights did not work they ate most of the wiring in barn over winter. Madflyer

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I work with a gal who lives on an acreage in the country, now that I have my mini acreage in a wooded part of the city, our discussions sometimes turn to critters. She and her husband, a mechanic, have lots of vehicles. She swears by the Bounce dryer sheets, says never a problem since she started using them, wipe it around leave them in the car.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Worst problem I've had is when my '84 Audi Quattro was outside. Mice got in, chewed up the wiring and it wouldn't start. They jumped up inside because it was warm under the hood. It was fall as I recall.

D

Deleted member 21878

my shop is not that old but i also keep glue boards at each end of the O/H door. they catch a lot. need to keep the mice out to keep the snakes out.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We've got mice in our garage somewhat year 'round, but especially in late fall/early winter. I've used electronic mouse traps fairly successfully, but I've been disappointed in their reliability/durability - but will continue with them.
We have access to a barn and - if I end up storing a vehicle out there - I'll order an indoor Car Capsule, as we've had really good success with their outdoor model. If you live north of the 49th and are thinking of purchasing one, talk to them about shipping as their preferred courier service costs about ten times that of the putting it in the mail. Doug

Country flag
A word of caution about "baiting" traps. They actually attract critters. They love peanut butter and will find a way to get in to feast. I use the Bounce dryer sheets stuck into the bottom spokes of each wheel (if you forget to remove them, they magically disappear as you drive). If I am not going to drive for awhile, I rubber band to attach a baggie to each of the exhaust pipes. If you forget them, the just blow off. (yea, I am old and forget a lot)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A word of caution about "baiting" traps. They actually attract critters. They love peanut butter and will find a way to get in to feast. I use the Bounce dryer sheets stuck into the bottom spokes of each wheel (if you forget to remove them, they magically disappear as you drive). If I am not going to drive for awhile, I rubber band to attach a baggie to each of the exhaust pipes. If you forget them, the just blow off. (yea, I am old and forget a lot)
I don't think dryer sheets will stop the bears. Fortunately, though, they can't fit in the exhaust pipe.

Country flag
But the bears would be soft and fluffy. Have you seen what they can do to cars? I think the wiring would be the least of the problem.