• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

All British Road Meet

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Probably a little too late if you didn't know about this event tomorrow, but FWIW https://www.all-british.org/
I'll post some photos and maybe some videos if the GoPro is charged. Weather looks awesome and the destination on the Oregon coast is wonderful. If anyone can make it, you'll enjoyt it!

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sounds fun! Pictures please!

I think a good time was had by all. Thanks Reid!

All British Road Meet.jpg

'65BJ8 DBRG .jpg

MGA & B .jpg

Truimph's.jpg

Red TR4.jpg

Reid's Sunbeam.jpg

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
If you read the website (all-british.org) you should have the general idea of the event, but what isn't stated there is that I started this event with no club affiliation. No registration (so I had little idea how many would show up), no fee (so I paid $29 out of pocket to make some logo stickers, plus whatever 50 copies of the "Route Suggestions" cost me in printer ink).

I was very pleased that we had over 50 cars show up. (I printed 50 copies of the Route Suggestions and ran out.)

It was a very different kind of event also in that there was no formal convoy or "tour group." There was a suggested end point (a shopping center with three restaurant choices, about 225 miles away on the suggested route), but obviously no one had to go there, and they didn't have to use the route that I provided. As I said in the driver's meeting, basically when I drive away, the event is over and you're on your own to do as you like.

We also had a nice contingent of Porsches (probably half a dozen, at least) as there is a lot of pent-up demand for some sports car touring events.

I'll "organize" (too strong a word?) another one next year, and probably make it shorter (end at a lunch spot, not a dinner spot). Now if I can get more than three (counting me!) members of the Oregon Healey club to actually get in their Healeys and drive them, we'll really be onto something.

ABRM 2020 logo 3-inch diameter.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It was great fun (though, as the video shows, I couldn't go the whole way). I left in an earlier pack and sort of lead that group until I broke away (at Cathlamet for the tiny ferry across the Columbia). There sure were a lot of Triumphs there... perhaps the club.
The really weird part is that I learned that nobody gathered at the proposed meeting place in Lincoln City (well, according to one that tried and wondered where everyone was).

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It was great fun (though, as the video shows, I couldn't go the whole way). I left in an earlier pack and sort of lead that group until I broke away (at Cathlamet for the tiny ferry across the Columbia). There sure were a lot of Triumphs there... perhaps the club.
The really weird part is that I learned that nobody gathered at the proposed meeting place in Lincoln City (well, according to one that tried and wondered where everyone was).

I believe I might have been the first one to Lincoln City and the meeting spot, it was about 2:20. I didn't see anyone else, so I went to the McMenamins. There was a line to get in so I hit the Fish N' Chips pub next-door. I had a good chat with a few guys who drove up from Albany in their BJ9 to see the "parade" of British cars. I think they may have been disappointed, as I only saw the brown TR6 while eating and the blue numbered MGA at 3:30 while starting to head back home to Portland.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Another driver reported that they couldn't find ANYONE at the destination!!! Strange.
At any rate, my short-cut down at Cathlamet (via the ferry) was great... and took about 4 hours total (back to home).
Reid mentioned 3 club members, but I think there were 4 (including Gary Hollister in his Bugeye).

gfholl

Country flag
Thanks Reid for "organizing" this event. We had a great drive in our Bugeye on the suggested route to Lincoln City OR. We did make a couple stops along the way including a nice long walk on on our favorite Oregon beach. We didn't get to Lincoln City until after 4pm. We ended up seeing very few LBC's after making our first stop but enjoyed the drive anyways. I figure it came to a total of 350 miles, which is our longest drive in the car yet.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I believe I might have been the first one to Lincoln City and the meeting spot, it was about 2:20. I didn't see anyone else, so I went to the McMenamins. There was a line to get in so I hit the Fish N' Chips pub next-door. I had a good chat with a few guys who drove up from Albany in their BJ9 to see the "parade" of British cars. I think they may have been disappointed, as I only saw the brown TR6 while eating and the blue numbered MGA at 3:30 while starting to head back home to Portland.

One of the problems with something new and creative is that it is difficult to overcome people's preconceived notions about how it is going to go. A few people contacted me for "details about the arrival" in Lincoln City and it was actually difficult to get it across to them that there was no such thing. I guess some people were expected a 50-car convoy arriving amid ticker tape and confetti and a cheering crowd.

As I said in the drivers' meeting, when I drive away, the event is over - at that point you're on your own to follow the printed "Route Suggestions" or not, to go to the destination listed in the suggestions or not, and to stop where and when you want for as long as you want. Different people did different things, pairing up with others - as suggested at the drivers' meeting - or striking out on their own. When I drove away I noticed the vast majority of cars still in the parking lot, so people were, by and large, making those arrangements with their friends for where they'd go and how they'd get there.

I got lots of emails from very happy people and so I'll arrange another All British Road Meet next year. Since it costs nothing and there's no registration required, it doesn't matter if 2 cars or 100 cars show up. The worst that can happen is that I spend the day driving the car of my choice on the route of my choice to the destination of my choice. A lot of people seemed to like that format (anti-format?). As it says on the website, "For those who don't like a lot of 'structure' in their auto hobby events, your prayers have been answered. You can literally wake up the morning of the event and decide to participate."

Here's a pic of just some of the action on the 1st Annual All British Road Meet:

20200801_151508.jpg
Really, it is from the event. Maybe next year I'll make a commemorative poster for the event, and this will certainly be the picture on it!

P.S. Apologies to Richard Mayor, another Austin-Healey Club of Oregon member who showed up for the event. He drove an Alfa Spider. As the website says, "To be part of this, the first ALL BRITISH ROAD MEET, just show up in your British car - or in any car you like if your Brit car isn't roadworthy in time." No harm, no foul. Good to see you Richard.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I really enjoyed it, and liked the informality. Still, for your sake (printing stickers and directions), it might have been nice for people to crudely RSVP (even if they didn't show).
In a future one, I think I'm going to arrange a bit of a convoy (of friends who what to do that) only for lunch and such.
Great job!