• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The machines that remain.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
After WW2, deGaulle ordered that the ruins of Oradour-Sur-Glane remain, never to be razed, never to be rebuilt, as a monument to those who died, and a reminder of what should be remembered.

"On June 10, 1944, four days after the D-Day invasion, a German Waffen SS Panzer Division sealed off the town and rounded up 642 residents, refugees, and people traveling through. Those rounded up believed that it was a routine check of identity papers.
The 190 men were taken to barns and sheds, where they were shot with machine guns. Then the structures were locked and burned with men still alive. At the same time, 247 women and 205 children were locked in the church. Those inside were gassed, and then the church was set on fire. Anyone managing to escape through the windows was shot. That night, the village was looted and burned."

In the ruins of dozens of houses, the remains of sewing machines still stand.

Sewing-Machines-Oradour-sur-Glane-1.jpg

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/oradour-sur-glane

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Must not forget.

Must also not allow history to be distorted or rewritten.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've been there (2006), and walked through the town. Just amazing. Feels like a set from the old TV series "Combat." All school-children in France must visit it as part of their education.
Of the many stunning sites is the town church... with machine-gun holes in walls. There are a few cars left on the streets that are dissolving away. You can't go into many buildings (except the church) but, like this photo above, you can see how things were left. Because the entire place was set on fire by the retreating Germans, no buildings have roofs anymore (including the church).

Here are a few shots I took (of many). There is a small cemetery at one end of the town.
street.jpg graveyard.JPG car.JPG

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
As I only vaguely recall now, it's not too far from Sarlat (a lovely town with lots of British expats - which, therefore, has lots of people speaking English). :eek:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oh my. Did not know of that.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Those old Singers are sturdy machines.