• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Carpet recommendations

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Any recommendations for suppliers of carpet kits for TR3A other than Moss or TRF? I know there are after market suppliers,but don't know quality or orginality of what they are offering.
Thanks

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
John Skinner in the UK does an excellent carpet kit. They have been doing carpets and trim for years.

David
https://www.john-skinner.co.uk

The Skinner kit installed

Interior finished.jpg

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
+1 on Skinner. I just installed a complete interior and the (wool) carpeting is first rate.

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Did you know TRF does their carpeting in-house? Here in the US.

I have one of their kits and it is fantastic. I was even able to order a replacement piece after one of my panels got ruined.

Just my two cents.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
TRF did my side screens and I am very pleased with the results. I think the Pound Dollar exchange made Skinner a better buy at the time I ordered my trim kit.

David

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I went with TRF too, was looking for something different and they made my TR3 carpets out of a TR6 color! Very happy with their flexibility and the quality.

Bill
TS63273L

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Brenda over at TRF and her peeps did my Dad's sidescreens and experimented with his seats. At the time they were considering adding upholstery to their line up.

The seats and screens came out like new and dad and I each have new interiors ready to install from them.

Don't know if their seat rebuilding ever got off the ground though.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
TR2s and early TR3s used color-keyed wool carpeting, which is what I used on my 1957 TR3 (for originality's sake). TR3As changed to nylon loop carpeting, color-keyed to the interior. TR3Bs used a "salt-and-pepper" charcoal gray color loop carpeting, regardless of interior trim, the same as the early TR4s. One could order wool carpeting as an option.

After TR2 commission number TS5088 the front footwell carpets were replaced by rubber mats (repros are sold by TRF). I chose to use the wool carpeting in the footwells because it looks nice and I don't drive my car in wet weather. If things got wet, all of my carpeting can easily be removed because it's either being held by snaps or gravity. The only glued pieces are the vertical ones: the front bulkhead piece able the gearbox tunnel, the two footwell sideboards and the two pieces under the sloped rear panel behind the seats.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I couldn't look at a car and tell you wool or nylon most of the time...my wife says I miss everything. I can tell cut or loop pile carpet. I think the cut pile is found in the higher end cars, so it looks a bit classier. I think the wool is usually cut pile, but I don't know for sure?!?

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
You're correct, John, about the cut or loop pile. Most higher end wool carpet is cut pile, such as that supplied by JF Skinner. The loop pile is typically synthetic (nylon) or sometimes natural (rayon). Since most loop pile is a nylon or blend, they tend to be "shinier" than cut-pile wool, too.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have heard - but have no basis for the validity - that nylon carpet color fades in the sunlight.

Anyone have experience? Old wives tale, or is there a grain of truth?