• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The History Channel?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tonight on The History Channel:

American Pickers: "While Robbie crosses the Rockies with a legendary car in tow, Mike and Mefford go for a high-speed joyride in a banned badass muscle car without brakes."

Pawn Stars: "The Harrisons run the only family-owned pawnshop in Las Vegas, using their sharp-eyed skills and network of experts to assess the value of customers' items and make deals."

Repeat.

Good grief. This is what people call history these days? People watch that stuff? We don't have much time left folks.

As a friend says, "Movies from around the world tell stories. American movies have explosions."

T.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Rick. That's what scares me. No problem with the content of the show - but actual "history" now has to be presented as entertainment. Similar on many other "educational" channels.

Tom M.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At work,in the break room,there's a tv that's usually on.
Being in the South,mt co-workers seem to like "The Price is Right",
& "The Jerry Springer Show".Yeah - I don't get it.
One day,while on my break,Jerry Springer was on.One female
co-worker said "This is a rerun".
I'd be embarrassed to admit that out loud.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I', with Rick on the Smithsonian. They have some very interesting historical programs. PBS has some great historical series too.

dklawson

Yoda
Good grief. This is what people call history these days? People watch that stuff? We don't have much time left folks.

As a friend says, "Movies from around the world tell stories. American movies have explosions."

We are kindred spirits and you are preaching to the quire.

My wife is tired of hearing me complain about the content on the Discovery Networks "named" stations like History. At the moment my big gripes are the non-stop shows about Egypt, Nazis, ALL the conspiracy shows, and the strange stuff that William Shatner hosts.

I also agree with your friend about explosions. I used to love watching Mythbusters until they started making "over the top explosions" mandatory at the end of each show. To make matters worse they created the (hopefully short-lived) Tory Bellici spin-off program "The Explosion Show". Geeze.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Currently I'm fiddling with a digital antenna and just got a "box o' tricks" Android TV box. Most digital antenna broadcast is rerun carp from long ago. Out of about thirty stations' channels here, there are 6 PBS and a couple others I may take interest in on occasion. Set up the Android thing yesterday as experiment, with an eye to cancelling cable TV. Too early to tell if/when that'll happen.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Wait, Tom, you have a TV? The kind that shows pictures in motion? Color?

Wow... :cool:

Joking aside, I agree with you - TV programming is not what it could be. We have a TV, but no cable service (only internet).

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hey - it still works, so why upgrade?

Baird_1925.jpg
Needs a little work on focus control ...

John_Logie_Baird,_1st_Image.jpg

John_Logie_Baird

Wait, Tom, you have a TV? The kind that shows pictures in motion? Color?

Wow... :cool:

Joking aside, I agree with you - TV programming is not what it could be. We have a TV, but no cable service (only internet).

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
:wink-new: Love it - thanks for taking a joke from me. I mean it in the best-natured way possible - looking forward to a trip to Sturbridge this summer. Stay safe and healthy!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Currently I'm fiddling with a digital antenna and just got a "box o' tricks" Android TV box. Most digital antenna broadcast is rerun carp from long ago. Out of about thirty stations' channels here, there are 6 PBS and a couple others I may take interest in on occasion. Set up the Android thing yesterday as experiment, with an eye to cancelling cable TV. Too early to tell if/when that'll happen.

quite enjoying the android box - I am sure it is capable of much more than we use it for but even the IPTV at $15 per month is great - watching More 4 (British channel) even as we speak.

Country flag
There's a YouTube channel I stumbled across called The History Guy: History Deserves to Be Remembered. I really like it and highly suggest it. He talks about all manner of things from Stonehenge to WWII to the wild west to the space age. One of my favorite YouTube channels. Check it out. (This was NOT a paid commercial advertisement LOL :D I just really like this channel)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
There's a YouTube channel I stumbled across called The History Guy: History Deserves to Be Remembered. I really like it and highly suggest it. He talks about all manner of things from Stonehenge to WWII to the wild west to the space age. One of my favorite YouTube channels. Check it out. (This was NOT a paid commercial advertisement LOL :D I just really like this channel)

In other news did you see that they have solved the mystery of the source of Stonehenge's boulders. Now to figure out how they moved them.

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-mystery-stonehenge-iconic-boulders.html

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The history content on the History Channel was always a bit suspect, some good shows, some that drew heavily on speculation. Now that it doesn't even to pretend to show history related content maybe they should consider changing the name of the channel.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I do enjoy The History Guy.
Another Chanel I find a good watch is Absolute History. Is meant to be people recreating the past using mostly the period tools. They worked on the Castle project in france for one episode.

David

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Absolute History on YouTube.

David, thanks for mentioning that. Never heard of it before now. Will give it a try.
Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Got sucked into YouTube yesterday, Jim Al Khalili. Physicist. His two "Everything/Nothing" productions were what got it started.

I want to check out the Absolute History programs, too.