• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smith heater rebuild

66greenweenie

Freshman Member
Platinum
Country flag
I am rebuilding the Smith heater for a 1967 BJ8. The factory parts book and the Moss parts list call for 2 o rings on the heater valve connection to the core post incoming water line. I cannot seem to get a clarification on where the lower o ring as shown is placed. I have talked to Moss and they just say it goes on the bottom(?). I have searched the internet for info and had no luck. i would appreciate any guidance on how to place the bottom o ring correctly so this valve does not leak.
66 greenweenie

Country flag
I'm looking at the Moss catalog and can't figure out which O-rings you're referring to; if you give us the MM part# maybe someone can help. I haven't worked on my BJ8's heater for years, fortunately, but I might be able to summon a memory.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Theres only one O ring . It goes between the flanges where the heater valve screws on .

OP

66greenweenie

Freshman Member
Platinum
Country flag
Bob: Thanks for the response. The two o rings are 117 MM#282-760 and 117a MM#282-760. 117 goes between the valve adapter and the valve. 117a is shown going on the heater core post below the top of the heater box. 117a is the problem I am having. I see no way that this provides any sealing value. The o ring between the valve and the valve adapter is the only seal I see as necessary. That is my dilema.

Thanks.

OP

66greenweenie

Freshman Member
Platinum
Country flag
I agree with this o ring going between the water valve and the adapter. My only concern is that the factory parts book and the Moss parts catalog show 2 o rings 117 and 117a. I want to be sure when this is reinstalled, that the heater does not have to be removed later because of leaking.
Appreciate any further thoughts.
Thanks

Country flag
When I had my heater out I didn't tear it down that far (only the valve was leaking). So, my SWAG--'Scientific Wild-Assed Guess'--would be that 'a' is mostly just a spacer, maybe to help prevent a rattle and/or possibly some oozing of coolant (is the 'core seal' sweated-on, with solder?). Same parts, they're cheap, I'd put one there unless it interferes with getting the whole box back together. Couldn't hurt, and you won't lose any points at concours ;)

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
" .. maybe to help prevent a rattle .. "

Agree with Bob. I put one between the core and the cover. Seems right together with the felt strip on the other side of the core

OP

66greenweenie

Freshman Member
Platinum
Country flag
Bob:
I had the core unit cleaned and tested to 15 psi by a radiator shop. There was a small leak that was resoldered and retested. I am going to l
use the o ring between the valve adaptor and the valve. I will place the other as the Moss catalog shows and go from there. Thanks for the insight into this.

Country flag
You're welcome. I always fall back to the old saw "If it wasn't absolutely necessary the BMC beancounters wouldn't have allowed it."