• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Welding hoods.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Those welding hoods that have the dimmer built into the lens or whatever. Anyway, I bought mine at HF and it worked well-- I think, but know I am not sure. Is there a way to test the blink to dark on them?

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
John the summers are beautiful from July 10th to about September 30th. Then the weather is back to lots of rain with the high and low at about 48 degrees constantly.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If you have an oxy/acetylene sparking igniter, or a flint cigarette lighter, if you spark it in front of the hood it will dim. You can then use that to adjust the darkness and time it delays before undimming. Having used the automatic helmets for about 15 years now, I can’t imagine welding without them! You were completely blind with the old helmets until you got the weld going. The only down-side is sometimes the angle you have to weld obstructs the photo-cell on the dimmer, so it doesn’t dim...nasty retina burns on occasion.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Heck I thought there might be a battery in there. Then I thought it was some kinda of flash deal that might not need one. I will check that today.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I look up at my lights to see if it darkens. Seems glass is dark enough to offer some protection as I forget to turn it on. Eye doctor says things are fine now, but remember to flip switch.

dklawson

Yoda
The batteries in the older HF units are not easily replaced. If you don't find a removable door for battery replacement, visit YouTube for information on how to modify your helmet to use external cells. I modified mine and continued to use it for a couple of years until it became my backup unit.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The original dimmers had on/off switches, and I tended to forget to turn them off and ran many batteries down. The latest versions don't have switches...guess I was not the only one who forgot.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
On mine I made sure to get the one with AAA batteries. The older ones had the little round style ones a real PITA to find. I even got 4 rechargeable ones and I just swap the out before I begin welding

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I dug out my instruction book from 1999 when I bought mine, and I cannot see where it talks about batteries. It mentions sensors and to clean them. There is a small box inside where I guess some batteries might be if it takes those flat ones. Anyways the hood is a little dark all the time and when light comes in everything is brighter. I used it yesterday and everything was bright, but again I was welling. Heck I started to just close my eyes and count to 3.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Went to HF yesterday to get one of their Vulcan Arcsafe helmets. I had a 20% coupon that would expire on 8/2/20 Got to the register and was told the coupon did not cover that item. It said so in the micro writing on the card.
Going to Northern Tool today with a $20.00 coupon for their Lincon helmet. That one also uses AAA batteries.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, if your helmet is that old, I think you will be pleased with a newer version. They have larger viewing areas, more control over the amount of shade and time it stays dark, and are a fraction of the price they used to be. My first self dimmer was over $250. My current one is under $50...so cheap I almost was afraid to use it, thinking “you get what you pay for”. But, it has done well for the last year.

PeterK

Yoda
I have a Lincoln Viking 2450 which has a large viewing area unlike the cheapo HF eye slit. The 1740 model is less than $130 with great features and can use the magnifier lens inserts. I became afraid to use the HF one I have. When it's safety, I don't cheap out.

Went to HF yesterday to get one of their Vulcan Arcsafe helmets. I had a 20% coupon that would expire on 8/2/20 Got to the register and was told the coupon did not cover that item. It said so in the micro writing on the card.
Going to Northern Tool today with a $20.00 coupon for their Lincon helmet. That one also uses AAA batteries.

David

Last edited:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've made somewhat of a collection of these over the years. Two from Eastwood and at least 3 from HF. The latest is the Arcsafe top of their line from HF. I can find no fault with it and it is far superior to all the others. I would have gone for the Eastwood XL9300 but HF had a sale and I was in the store. The Eastwood service and warranty has been amazingly good in my experience.
The Lincoln and Miller helmets have been competing with the Chinese(?) helmets price wise lately but I have never tried one.
Tom