• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Non Adjustable TR3 Steering Wheel

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I know they are N/A. Is there any demand for them? What do they usually sell for? I have a good used one I am thinking of selling.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I bought one on e bay a couple of years ago for $100.00+ do not remember exactly. It was straight and had no cracks but the center section needed painting. I had bought another one off e bay which cost less but had cracks and the spline was not in good shape. At the time I had a TR3A but no steering wheel so I went for it.
They do show up on e bay from time to time with very high Buy it now prices claiming to be Perfect. I do not know i they get that price.

Hope that helps.

At one time it seemed TRF was trying to get reproductions made but that never happened.

David

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Usually they crack around the rim. If yours has NO cracks it would be easy to sell but probably still in the 100 to 150 range, maybe a bit more (but I'm no expert). You might try the classifieds on this forum.

Macy's was looking to buy old steering wheels at one point to have them re-done with wood rims. But I don't suppose they were looking for good ones.

https://macysgarage.com/wood wheels.htm

Tom

James A Martin

Country flag
I have a TR3b that came with a 2 piece shaft on an adjustable wheel and the wheel needs replacing. Will a non adjustable wheel fit on my shaft?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I haven't tried it but I don't think it can be done, at least not easily. The column are different and so are the mountings. Stator tubes are different also the adjustable having a linger groove.

Tom

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might contact Eddy in the NY area
He buys and repairs steering wheels.
He did one for us.... very nice job.
1-516-467-7040

Gil. NoCal

James A Martin

Country flag
You might contact Eddy in the NY area
He buys and repairs steering wheels.
He did one for us.... very nice job.
1-516-467-7040

Gil. NoCal
The wheel question was abut the wheel on my TR3B, which had a plastic wheel cover.
Upon removal I found the Bakelite quite deteriorated. I contacted Eddie D as he seemed to have several examples of almost every older British steering wheel.
Upon finding my wheel was the adjustable type I looked into the possibility of fitting a non adj. wheel as they cost about 1/2 the cost, way more available, and they are closer to the dash giving a tad more room.
After some research and following this post I have abandoned the swap for obvious reasons and will attempt to repair my wheel with epoxy putty. Another option is to change the upper half of the column to a compatible fitting (retaining nut) for the stationary wheel. If all that turns out to be beyond my abilities or not doable, I will purchase an example of the adjustable wheel from Eddie D.
His refurbishing skills are tops and time consuming.He is quick to share information and very reasonable about pricing.
So... as usual, this forum, it's contributors and the innerweb make my excursion into Triumphville possible...
Thanks so much
Jim

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Have you seen the repairs done with Baking soda and crazy glue? Use it to fill cracks in the rim. I have not used the idea but it seems like it would work.

David