• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Saturday Morning Truthism

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.” — Dave Barry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sad but true :rolleyes: it would be so much better if everyone was as good a driver as I know I am. :grin:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
True, but some have more training and experience and sometimes trying to pass it along just doesn't soak in to the ones that know how to drive above average.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I think the best way to become an above average driver is a period of youth spent driving a hopped up TR3 (or other driveable car) with wild abandon.
Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think the best way to become an above average driver is a period of youth spent driving a hopped up TR3 (or other driveable car) with wild abandon.
Bob

:iagree:

The only way to find limits is to first exceed 'em!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
On the other hand....about 1/2 of us shouldn't be here today,
after all the stupid stuff we did in our early driving years.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Amen to that. My 1957 Porsche coupe was wrecked when a Ford station wagon pulled out of a gas station with his view blocked by a truck, hit me at the right front fender and caromed me across the street into a steel fence. Luckily for me, no one was coming the other way. Not so lucky was the fat lady with a bag of groceries who ended up under the Porsche. We lifted the car up off her - I recall she had a couple of broken ribs and a broken leg. The case went to trial. Two cops were lodgemates of the plaintiff's attorney and falsified the police report to say that I saw the other car pull out but couldn't stop. They also showed a picture with skidmarks - not mine. Although my insurance company attorney know they were lying since he had a copy of the original police report, the woman was badly injured and the jury was likely to find fault so they settled $25K each. A year later, I got a check for $100 - the return of my deductible. The two insurance companies had arbitrated the case in Philadelphia and I was found blameless. I was mortified at the time as I was proud of my driving but came to realize that kind of BS happens in court. I later became friends with that plaintiff's attorney and beat him in a Small Claims Court case - a story for another day.

Country flag
I had a 54 Buick as my first car, so I didn't have to worry about speeding. Zero to 60 in 20 seconds going down hill with the wind at my back.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I had a 54 Buick as my first car, so I didn't have to worry about speeding. Zero to 60 in 20 seconds going down hill with the wind at my back.

Maybe you should have started the engine.

:angel2:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
One slow Buick. My wife had a 61 Electra 225 with 401 nailhead. I would set the speed warning to.120 as I knew it would shut off 20 mph over. Got pulled over for 60 in a 45 after crossing State Line ( had been doing 90 ) knew there was a yellow flashing light but when I saw it the Police had the double cherries on. First statement out of Policeman's mouth was, "kind of an old car to be speeding in" this was in 1974. I said give it an inspection, as Mo had inspections, IL did not. I then shut up and got $100 ticket with mandatory court appearance. Still made it to work on time.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If we were all average drivers where would you be and who would do the test. I spot bad drivers every day was that you?? Madflyer

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Average drivers? Some folks might remember this:

"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."