• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A por 15

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I am having trouble deciding if por 15 has changed. I used some years ago and the stuff was nasty to work with, but I felt it would do the miracle job kinda that they suggested. Now I go on line to purchase some, and I get confused with all the choices. Do they have the original and simply just more choices? I thought they called it rust encapsulator and now I see it is called rust preventive. Does someone know what number it would be for the original or am I making this difficult?
steve

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I see that encapsulation deal now that I do more research Peter. Tall Guy have you used the por 15? I ask because I wanted to know how much different the 2 products are. I see that some of por 15 advertisement numbers are different colors. Perhaps I will go to the body shop store and see what they say. In today’s world so many products are so much cheaper on line, but ordering can be a problem. I bought some batteries for my drill and they are knock off and one did not work. That is why I purchase with evilbay their guarantee is excellent or I do not purchase. the batteries were not and they do not care

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh this is a general question. My last tr3 was bare metal. The thing is all good mechanics and restorers I know are on the BCF. In today’s world it is difficult to find a craftsman, so I come here for my information. Thanks for posting David that is the information I was looking to find.

John have you ever used any of these newer rust products? The product is very interesting and durable. The stuff will probably outlast me.

Moreover, there was talk some years back about actually gluing in patch panels on Austin Healy’s and people were trying it. I remember Don E advocating the use. I like welding on sheet metal kinda, but the metal never really seals because of the fusion burns away so much of the seal and there are the pinch welds..... My belief is the glues will be in use before long.

steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I do have different standards. My first car cost $35 and lasted through high school. I then drove a $100 F150 pickup for 12 years. I believe all methods and levels of repair have their place. If I am not restoring a car, I am very prone to go cheap and fast.

Sooo....yep, I have had cars that I paint with brushes and POR paint! My American Rambler used old license plates so friends wouldn’t fall through the floor...back when we got new plates every year. Bondo is a wonder material to make junk look like new. My Triumphs just happen to be projects with the goal to return them to “like new” state.

Is your TR3 getting road trips yet?

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well when the Corona # 9 hit, Washington started to shut down, and it was summer, so I decided to kick the rust and dirt off the old truck and get some fresh air. Washington is such a beautiful place in the summer.

I do have my driver tr3, so the new restoration is kinda like a piece of Jewelry. I am tore on the carpet because I like the wool, but started on the nylon carpet only to find that sewing the edge onto the carpet was a much more difficult than I imagined; sewing is difficult and the wool looks so nice. The car is nice and renewed but still in jewelry faze.

steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The old story...too nice to drive! Of course that's a good place to be. I wish we had your weather, as it just isn't fun driving the TR over 100 degrees down here. That reminds me, I need to swap out that bad brake light switch...

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hydraulic break light switch? I did the micro switch mod on my TR3A The switch I got from one of the local stores did not last long so I replaced it with one from work.

David

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
John the summers are beautiful from July 10th to about September 30th. Then the weather is back to lots of rain with the high and low at about 48 degrees constantly.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, the silicone fluid does do a number on the switches...but they are only $9 and change out in 5 minutes. The first one lasted 65 years, so I don’t mind.

The rain in the NW would take some adjustment. 48 in winter is better than our ice storms, though. We really only get about 3 weeks fall and 3 spring if we’re lucky between the extremes. All our rain comes with tornados and 70mph wind fronts too.