• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

***OUCH*** Concours judging

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Went to the car show in Memphis. I showed the car but had NO intentions of having Emma judged. After listening to dason and dahubby tell me that she was 'as nice as any other B there,' I said NO, I'm not having her judged. She's sensitive, doesn't handle competion well and doesn't need the stress. Besides, I KNOW my car is just a driver, NOT concours, or even close.

Time comes they call the class our car was in. Dahubby was fidgeting and I finally said, 'fine, if you want her judged, YOU take her.' So he and my dot-in-law went and emptied out the trunk, put the top up and sent her through.

HA. That's all I have to say. HA! But now maybe he'll get the picture. Emma's a driver, a fun car to play in, but NOT a trophy winner. And that's always been fine with me.

However, I did mention that getting a carpet kit, refinishing my bumpers and detailing the engine bay would help. (along with overdrive)

Man, they REALLY pick those cars apart! 100 possible points in 10 catagories:

body panels
paint
glass/rubber seals
interior, trunk & top
dashboard and instruments
engine compartment
chrome and brightwork
chassis and suspension
wheels and tires
originality/craftsmanship (craftsmanship is judged instead of originality in the 'modified' class)

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well Jaybird, I enjoy reading your posts, so you're a 100 points in my book even if the car might score a little less.

Radford

Jedi Knight
You failed to mention Emma's numbers, but I understand - she is a little sensitive. You have to make some compramises to have a daily driver, and as long as they are cool with you that is what counts.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
She's cool as they come as far as I'm concerned. And she was nicer than a few B's there, but they weren't judged either. And I would never EVER want a LBC that I was afraid to drive because of a rock chip or dingy or that I trailered to a show. I drive her constantly and I drive her hard.

Oh, might mention the 2 new booboos on her, compliments of dahubby. SOMEHOW, when he put the top up Friday night (I was in the room unpacking) he stuck the cover in the trunk. Got it out Sat morning, there's a 1/4" L-shaped tear in it. (grrrr)

AND, you guys will LOVE this one. We went to wash the cars at 7am on Saturday morning. Got to the carwash, I looked at the hood. Hmmm, what's that 8" piece of round metal with a loop on the end of it sticking out? Seems the dipstick checked the oil first thing that morning and FORGOT to put the dipstick back down. Closed the hood on it and wallah, I have a 3/4" chunk of paint off the hood now.

THAT is why she will never be concours!!!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Only the judging sheet and I know Emma's numbers. I'd tell ya'll but then I'd have to kill you.

Let's just say her number was SLIGHTLY higher than what I considered dahubby's IQ to be Saturday morning after I saw the 2 booboos. And that was close to a negative number.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Radford

Jedi Knight
Come on jaybird, the man must have just been distracted by the thought of be out with you for the weekend. You know us guys we have a 1 by 1 mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Uh huh, that's probably it Radford. With dason and his wife sleeping in the bed next to us. Yup, that's it.

Dahubby was distracted because he normally is in bed at 10pm and some old bird kept him out til 3am partying! It was clearly lack of sleep and a bit too much imbibing, right?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
don't they have a "Daily driver" class/catagory? probably would have fared better in a catagory like that...

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
No. Just your regular marque classes. No daily driver, no diamond in the rough, nothing.

But thanks for a great idea. I think I'll suggest we add a 'daily driver' catagory to our show next year!

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]

Dahubby was distracted because he normally is in bed at 10pm and some old bird kept him out til 3am partying! It was clearly lack of sleep and a bit too much imbibing, right?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll buy that Dahubby is the sane one in the family. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
~nods solemnly~

A dirty job, but someone has to do it. Dason is a lot like him, dadot is a lot like me.