• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Water Pump ?

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello All:

My car has been ignored for a long time (2 tanks of gas in 4 years). I've sucked that out and have all new stuff. We went for a long drive (90 minutes) each way and the car handled nicely. Got home and saw coolant on the ground the next day. It appears to be 100% coolant and not mixed at all with oil.

To me (& my semi-educated opinion): Water pump has gone bad. Nothing coming from it (exterior) but assuming blades have broken internally allowing the leak. Nothing significant came out until I opened the radiator cap then out it came:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GgWHHfYUqz8CwPXv6

Any reason I should suspect something different that the water pump? I had a 'racing water pump' on there from (Winner's Circle) when I last did this in 2002-ish. I'm about to order a replacement / hoses / therm.

Lastly - do I have to remove the radiator / oil cooler to perform this task? Hoping to get lucky, but why now. I do have the option to take it somewhere, which I am really debating.

Thank you all-

George

** 1970 1275 engine **

1964 AH Sprite MK II

zabond

Country flag
if you cant see a leak from the pump you may have a bad radiator cap that is not holding pressure and allowing coolant to escape via the radiator overflow pipe, broken/worn pump vanes wont cause a leak via the pump body, only cause overheating, first step is to determine where the leak is coming from if at all or just an over full radiator [I know if I fill my radiator to the top it dumps about a cup full out the overflow after a drive, if I don't top it up again its happy at that level] to replace the pump you are best removing the radiator unless you want to work in a very restrictive upside down awkward position ;)
Russ

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Look for moisture at the "weep" hole in the waterpump. That's where you will find fluid if it's a bad seal. I agree with the above comments on the unlikely cause of a leak to be damaged pump vanes

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have from time to time had my car burp coolant - never exactly figured out where it was coming from - but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Did also have a pinhole in a hose that only manifested itself when the car was running and hot and under pressure.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
All the above is right on. Water pump would only leak from seal. If your overflow tube does not go to a can jar what ever toping off rad will push some out at running temp. I would change the rad cap first. Squeeze hose next if cracked replace same top easy lower not so much. Is the fluid good adding water will change it's ability to cool at pressure your rad cap should be 8 to 12 pounds. Do this test; from cold with cap off start motor you should not see water moving in rad until thermostat opens. ounce open you will get some steam and much water flow at rad. Your water pump will not move water even with motor at any RPM until thermostat is opened if it does either the thermostat has been removed or stuck open. The purpose of the thermostat warm water in the block and open to rad to cool water normal temp should be 165deg to 185deg Three steps Check rad cap Check hose Change fluid add tank to over flow tub. And drive your car more OH fall color is the best time and you will need a heater to keep you warm .

Madflyer

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And the radiator cap is not available at FLAPS. Needs to be a deeper Radiator Cap assuming you are running an OEM Radiator.