• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Electrical Problem

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
When we were examining the clutch pedal, a wire must have come loose because the following are not functional: gas gauge, water temperature, wipers. heater and direction signals. All four fuses checked out ok. The only thing amiss was the flasher unit which was out of its holder. I did see that at least one other poster had the same problem but in his case, it was the fuse box. Can anyone give me a hint what to look for?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
See arrow:

screenshot.2335.jpg

PS - color wiring diagram (everyone should have one - NFI) for USA '74 TR6 from Prospero's Garage:
www.colorwiringdiagrams.com

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you for the link. I am a long way from wiring but as items like this are brought up I make a note of it for my Christmas list. I know this will come in handy down the road. Frank

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The book that one day you'll be happy you have it or the day you wished you did.
https://mossmotors.com/electrical-maintenance-handbook
"pd" that connection shown in the schematic is in a place none of us like to go....under the dash, near the firewall, but what I don't remember is if it's a plug or a splice in the harness. The symbol in the schematic indicates a splice, but that's not always the case. I hope its a plug and you can spot it.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I used a test light on the fuse box. Black test wire to ground battery terminal.Top fuse block (1) to bottom (4:smile: 1 - no light. 2 light with key on or off. 3 -light with key on. 4 - no light. Fuse 4 has a double red wire going in. I have the Bentley manual with the wiring diagram but it's tough reading - I have to use a magnifying glass to read the colors. I should have gotten the Moss manual or the Masters manual but to tell the truth, since the first months of ownership in 1995, I've had no electrical problems whatsoever other than a couple of burned-out bulbs. I read that if its only the two gauges, then the voltage stabilizer is bad, but three other things are also out so its got to be in the wiring. I'll look in the manual to see what fuses 1 and 4 are used for. Thanks for the readable diagrams.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
How I wish I had a color printer. Or some crayons. Thanks for the help. Bad back and old age prevent me from laying under the dash so it will have to wait until the weekend. I will use a mirror and a camera to check for a loose wire. Finding an open circuit or worse, a short that keeps blowing fuses is tedious and time-consuming. One of the worst jobs on these cars. Made especially hard on my car because a DPO sprayed the engine compartment with black paint and didn't cover the wires - so they're all black and I have to carefully scrape the black paint off.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Using a VOM meter to trace the wires will come in handy.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How I wish I had a color printer. Or some crayons.

Take it to Fedex/Kinkos or the like, and have them print and laminate one for you.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I did have a green pen, a red pen, a blue pen and a black pen. Filled in the lines with the correct colors. Purple was a problem but I wrote it out. There are two loose wires under the dash but they may have been there all along. Blue and white and purple and red. I think they may have been for the seat belt buzzer and the tunnel light. Everything else looks good under there. Continuity in the fuse box. There appear to be two junction boxes mounted to the inner fender flanking the fusebox. What are they? Pictures attached.TR6 underdash1.jpgTR6 underdash2.jpgTR6 underhood.jpg

Attachments

• TR6 underdash3.jpg
    TR6 underdash3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 128

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Horn and starter relays...The horn relay is on top if it's wires are mainly purple.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I'm beginning to think the problem isn't on the hot side but the ground. He may have knocked off a ground wire while bleeding the clutch. Where does the green circuit ground wire attach? The wiring diagram only shows the black ground wires but not where they run to.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Look for a ground tab below the place under the bonnet where the 2 heater hoses pass thru the fire wall. It's the ground for Wiper motor, Gauge lights, Key light, voltmeter and some other stuff...If those things work, that particular ground location is fine.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
There is a ground tab there but it looks like it has never been used. No ground wire in sight. Its right near the bundle of wires coming out of the firewall running down to the starter. The ammeter and oil pressure gauges work, the lights and horn work as does the radio and my interior lights on the tunnel. Everything was working perfectly before he bled the slave cylinder and detached the clutch pedal. As I stated, since fixing the initial shorts 25 years ago, the electrical system has worked perfectly. What could he have done to cause this? Or is it just a coincidence?

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This thread is probably dead by now, but it looks like like all of the components that aren't working involve the green wired fused circuit. On my 71, there is a bullet connection that connects all of the culprits together. It should be under the dash. Also, the fuse could be good, but the fuse holders might be corroded where they are connected to the space terminals. The riveted connection could be the culprit. Good luck.
Berry

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
You are correct about the green circuit. Although it may be bad for my health, I'll try to crawl under and see if there is a disconnect. There is nothing hanging down except for a couple of dead wires that were disconnected many years ago. Until I find the problem, this thread is far from dead...all contributions cheerfully accepted.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
PD-On second thought, it looks like the connection at the fuse box is the prime suspect. Try disconnecting the 2 green wires and run a jumper wire directly to the battery. At least this can be done without crawling under the dash.
Berry

DarvinR

The book that one day you'll be happy you have it or the day you wished you did.
https://mossmotors.com/electrical-maintenance-handbook
"pd" that connection shown in the schematic is in a place none of us like to go....under the dash, near the firewall, but what I don't remember is if it's a plug or a splice in the harness. The symbol in the schematic indicates a splice, but that's not always the case. I hope its a plug and you can spot it.

I'm going to show this to my uncle tomorrow. I'll be coming over to help him install the headache rack and hard tonneau cover on his current truck project. I guess we will that eletrical handbook sooner or later.