• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 2 Brake Questions

Jerryny

Freshman Member
Country flag
1) Is it true that the PWDA doesn't impede brake fluid flow even if its been activated? Brake Warning light on. My light isn't on, I'm just curious.

2)Has anyone used a different brand of Master Cylinder besides the TRW sold by Moss? I see that Raybestos makes one. Its pricier but I'm on my 2nd TRW and was looking to see if anyone has used one of the other brands available.

Thanks in Advanced and lets keep those Triumphs running
Jerry

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I can only speak for my 1980 Spitfire. Just because you don't see the brake light on doesn't mean squat. My lights come and go. There is a shuttle in the PDWA. If the PDWA has been activated, that shuttle slides to one side or the other, so even if you fix the problem (say a broken brake line or you had to bleed your brakes because you replaced a caliper), then you will not have brakes on either the front or the back of your car. In theory, when that shuttle slides over, it activates your brake light, assuming the switch still works, the wires are intact, and the bulb is good. If you lock that shuttle in the open position (which isn't hard to do), then you will have all the brakes. However, if you do that and, say, you lose a brake line, then you won't have any brakes at all. Replacing the PDWA is a bit of a challenge, mostly in finding one. I found one at Rimmer, but it wasn't the exact one for my car (the threads for the brake lines are different depending on whether your car was made for the US or the UK). So I had to change the brake lines to the PDWA. Once again, not hard to do, but not exactly cheap. The PDWA cost me $216 (plus another $24 for shipping), and a local shop did the brake lines for around $130. All told, it cost me around $400. But it all works fine now. Hope that helps.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In my 25 years I have only had one Master Cylinder leak and I did not kit it but replaced it. I never though about brand. but as I looked today ( thanks for that ) my replacement is a Lucas I most likely got from TRF and as I remember was on sale at the time $100.00 plus. Madflyer