• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally,a Law That Makes Sense

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
After umpteen years,they finally passed a law in Virginia
that bans handheld devices (cell phones).Effective January 1st.
I'm so tired of seeing drivers weaving,driving under the speed limit,
& not paying attention.
I hope it gets enforced well.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Enforcing is going to be a nightmare. Assuming it's just banned for the driver to *hold* a cellphone - not to *use* a cellphone.

Smarter would be to end cell signals when the device is moving.

But it's a start.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
it has made a difference here, though idiots are idiots.

OTOH when I saw the title of this thread I presumed you meant Murphy's Law. :grin:

Country flag
I'd prefer a general moron law to stop not only phones but other questionable, polite word.., activities. Passed a guy one day apparently conducting a meeting while driving, he had papers spread out on the dash and it seemed seat he was digging through with one hand. Sandwich in the other and driving with his left knee, so swooping back and forth in the lane. Didn't want to be behind that "daring the universe to smack back" type. My phone when I drive stays in my pocket, the radio is already set andin general I'm watching where I'm going. I credit driving LBCs for part of that since I can be protective of them.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We've had the cell phone law here in Oregon for a few years, and I swear that it hasn't made a difference. I've even asked cops in coffee shops about it... "surely you guys see what I see - every 10th car has a driver using a cell phone?!" To which they say they don't see it or don't have the time to enforce it. How often nowadays does someone sit at a green light and not move (all while looking down)? It's epidemic.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Our car had the linkup to phone for handsfree to the radio . A pain Our new car this month I did not linkup, call me at home my cell phone is for me not the world. To end we see STUPED every day this just adds to them they may not even be using their seatbelt either. A law it seems is only for the people that follow it. Madflyer

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
There is (was?) a cell phone shaming TV ad campaign in Canada. "Don't be a crotch-watcher." Wish they'd try it here.

I have a hands-free set-up in my car, though it is only occasionally used. I'm told that even that creates a distraction... because the person on the other end doesn't know what situation you are in.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Illinois has a any electronic device in hands law. Was pertaining to cell phones. A once in a blue moon enforcement. Now they have a distracted driving law that includes eating, drinking even a soda while driving. I'll bet a lot of us have been eating fries, or sandwiches and drinking soda while driving ever since we could drive. Now it is distracting. :grumpy:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Now they have a distracted driving law that includes eating, drinking even a soda while driving."

hmmmm - does that include listening to the constant yammering from the person in the right seat?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Turn the hearing aid off on the right ear. Does work, don't ask me how? :highly_amused:

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In Virginia they can cite you for having a vehicle with expired plates
in your driveway.I thought that was considered Private Property.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Enforcing is going to be a nightmare. Assuming it's just banned for the driver to *hold* a cellphone - not to *use* a cellphone.

Smarter would be to end cell signals when the device is moving.

But it's a start.

This seems the most sensible solution to me. Other than emergency services, who really has business so vital that they can't pull over to talk if they need to?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I blame the car manufacturer for installing all the screen features and supposedly touch screens. Just because people want them doesn't mean they are needed. This stuff can be added for businesses and people who would actually use them properly. It used to be, you had to pull over to use the phone (phone booth) but we have succumbed to lazy. Now all we need is the manufacturers to install a dead zone in the car for these electronic devices, but sales say otherwise. Can't get around people who don't take driving seriously. Why we are scared to take our LBC babies for a trip.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Same in Oklahoma! All vehicles you own in Oklahoma must be tagged, whether you drive them or not. Any vehicle parked on your property must be tagged!

In Virginia they can cite you for having a vehicle with expired plates
in your driveway.I thought that was considered Private Property.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Derelict vehicle laws, don't park on grass, must have gravel or pavement. Depends on cities here, but some states as you have said, must be tagged no matter. My 64 Valiant on stands is tagged in the garage, Jag is not but hid, 1 in garage, the other in storage unit, everything else is running and tagged, but my neighbor gets by with 2 trucks out of date tags, 1 hidden behind fence no tags, and a Scout just bought with 10 yr old outdated tags.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Derelict vehicle laws, don't park on grass, must have gravel or pavement. Depends on cities here, but some states as you have said, must be tagged no matter. My 64 Valiant on stands is tagged in the garage, Jag is not but hid, 1 in garage, the other in storage unit, everything else is running and tagged, but my neighbor gets by with 2 trucks out of date tags, 1 hidden behind fence no tags, and a Scout just bought with 10 yr old outdated tags.

Had a club member get away with it by stacking a cord of wood around his inop Healey.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
This seems the most sensible solution to me. Other than emergency services, who really has business so vital that they can't pull over to talk if they need to?
That would block passengers from phone calls as well.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
In Oklahoma, if you bring a vehicle in from out of state that your not going to use for a while, you don't register it! If and when you register it, you tell them you just brought it in within the last month, if you say you brought it in two years ago, you will be charged back registration fees to that date! If you pull a vehicle off the road you can put black tags on it, all that means is it doesn't have to be insured but the price of the tags are the same. BUT, we don't have vehicle inspections though. :encouragement: YET!