• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

troubleshooting signals - if you were a betting person.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Would you suggest I look at the flasher unit itself first - or the hazard switch?

(and the flasher unit is behind the glove box is it not?)

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP on my 68 when no signals worked’ took apart the Emergency Flasher Switch by prying to tabs off carefully and ckeaned up all contacts including a dumbbell/dog bone shaped roller contact. Cleaned all of the green off and everything started working. Gerard used to have a picture I took of the Inside of the EFlasher switch that I took apart on his website. I didn’t have a single switch, gauge, or light that worked. After taking apart every single connect on cleaning with a wire brush in my adrenal tool and reassembly with Dielectric Grease everything started working again.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes that Adrenal Tool comes in handy especially if you discover Car is about to crush you while working underneath especially if you are doing something stupid.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yes that Adrenal Tool comes in handy especially if you discover Car is about to crush you while working underneath especially if you are doing something stupid.

Indeed. Too hot today to get under the dashboard but, we are anticipating rain and a cold front any minute. phew.

nomad

Yoda
Had a Jag with those same troublesome rocker switches and got very good at disassembling them and cleaning them up.

Kurt

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
in short bursts - it's hot in the garage! I have realized the fuse box is an accomplice if not the culprit. 8 1/2 volts at the fuse box - green wires. If I bypass the flasher and the rocker switch I can get 8.5 volts to the centre of the flasher switch on the steering column. However it drops to 7.5 when I turn on the signal lights (on the wire going to the lights)

Golfing this morning but, my PM plan is ordering a new fusebox/ flasher unit/ rocker/ signal and low beam/ high beam switch and likely wiper switch for good measure.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
All of those can be taken apart and cleaned up. And the quality of the replacements is not near that of the OEM Original Equipment part. But JP taking apart and cleaning takes a while to do. Getting that box from Moss and simple swapping switches is simpler. Take pics before you start disconnecting wiring,

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
All of those can be taken apart and cleaned up. And the quality of the replacements is not near that of the OEM Original Equipment part. But JP taking apart and cleaning takes a while to do. Getting that box from Moss and simple swapping switches is simpler. Take pics before you start disconnecting wiring,

good advice - the pics especially

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP the other reason foR that Voltage drop is that the ends of your wires have turned Green with oxidation. Time to take some sandpaper to all of the care wire terminations and clean off the green. Every wire connection needs to be taken apart and the green cleaned off. And then you will have 12 VDC once again. Surprised if car actually can start and drive running on 7-8 volts. Noodle on that thought awhile.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP the other reason foR that Voltage drop is that the ends of your wires have turned Green with oxidation. Time to take some sandpaper to all of the care wire terminations and clean off the green. Every wire connection needs to be taken apart and the green cleaned off. And then you will have 12 VDC once again. Surprised if car actually can start and drive running on 7-8 volts. Noodle on that thought awhile.

thanks Jim, this was after I had cleaned all - and, it is only the one connection. The starter circuit has the full 12.4 volts. Picking up a new fuse box today or tomorrow - for $7. it is not worth farting around with.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Still JP take a piece of sandpaper to the wire ends that go under those screw terminals and the ends of the screws. Voltage Drop likely related to "The Green." I reused some small pieces of wiring from the old harness so I did not have to solder on some new bullets. When I stripped back the insulation in order to solder new wire harness connection to a 6" long piece out of the old harness, I needed to sand the bare wire from the old harness so it was shiny in order to get solder to stick to it. Cleaned up the bullet end so it was shiny with a little light touch with the Bench grinder. All tests good before I hung the dash with my VOM.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sometimes a spritz of CRC's 2-26 and working the switch thru several 'cycles' will preclude the need to disassemble the switch. The stuff is pretty effective.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thought I would provide an update. First of all I replaced the ignition wires/ signal/ switch and flasher - still no love. Decided to walk away for a day or two and fixed headlights/ horn and driving light.

In a unrelated (mostly) act I also replaced the battery ground cable - it was getting old and, I discovered the bolt to the car was a bit lose. certainly explained that it was harder to start than it should have been. (note to self - check cable bolts from time to time)

Had the car out of the garage and my tenant showed up (he and his wife are like another set of kids and he is the son of very long time friends) He is also pretty handy with computers and electronics. So I asked for a second set of eyes. In an embarrassingly short number of minutes he began to wonder if the prongs on the hazard switch were making good contact - he spread them slightly and all of a sudden signals. Of course I reassembled it all took it for a drive and no signals. Walked away. Today I did a couple of small jobs and then started it and, signals. Took it for another drive and no signals, until I smacked the console smartly and signals, for a minute.

So, tomorrow, take it apart, clean everything, dielectric grease and hopefully good to go.

Oh and enough of a drive that I could (finally) put fresh gas in so it immediately works so very very much better.

Onward....

:cheers:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and we have signals! Took it apart took a file to the female part of the plug and sprayed and added dielectric grease and Bob's your uncle! still no wiper motor (but it's not raining) took the wipers off as they were parked across the windshield.

went out for a drive today - still doesn't run perfectly until warmed up but we are getting there. Certainly needs new gas and maybe clean the plugs. and an Italian tuneup and keep on going. Sucks that it took till the end of August but, there hasn't been much of anywhere to drive this year anyway.

nomad

Yoda
Right about no where to go anyway this year. Earlier in year I had heard that you could sit in quarantine at the Canadian border for 2 weeks and could then get into Canada. We were doing nothing but sitting in quarantine at home and I was really thinking about doing that. Maybe I had misheard and that was never possible but I guess it is impossible now.

We are in the thick of the Covid right now and the first acquaintance of ours has died from it. Know several young folks that have had it and recovered.

Kurt

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Right about no where to go anyway this year. Earlier in year I had heard that you could sit in quarantine at the Canadian border for 2 weeks and could then get into Canada. We were doing nothing but sitting in quarantine at home and I was really thinking about doing that. Maybe I had misheard and that was never possible but I guess it is impossible now.

We are in the thick of the Covid right now and the first acquaintance of ours has died from it. Know several young folks that have had it and recovered.

Kurt

It's hard to watch everywhere. We had to interview a fellow from the USA recently (in person) and he had to sit in a hotel room for 14 days. I understand that the only way you can get into Canada is for work. Just tourist visits aren't allowed at all. In fact, it has been contentious that people are crossing claiming to be driving to Alaska and then touristing on the way. Some heavy fines imposed. We have 2 weeks booked in a timeshare Florida in December and even though we could fly in and the quarantine when we get home, I doubt very much we will be going and be able to safely cross even then.

I have done one COVID funeral and a colleague has lost his brother as well as a number of friends who lost parents (it hit senior's homes very very hard). We had one guy who got it at 85 years old and probably 120 pounds soaking wet - in hospital on a ventilator and recovered - no one saw that coming.

this one made news as you can well imagine https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/american-fined-750000-for-sightseeing-while-driving-through-canada

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As for your elect. problems I switched to a new blade fuse box changed all lead ends to fuse box cleaned copper wires for new ends. checked all ground connections. This was done ahead of problems 1973 TR 6 restored 1993. Like you all have said can not go anywhere anyway!! OK not quite true, in June we went to Moscow ID from Reno NV. in the TR 6. At that time C 19 numbers were going down. 9 day trip people were not following rules up there. We stayed in a nice Lodge on the Clear Water River, let no maid in room just clean towels as needed take out food only and SIX FEET all the time. When we got home 14 days did nothing went no place. We stayed well thank whoever!! But you know we felt guilty and though it was stupid. WE are in our 70's. This year we have cancelled three trips Fishing in Canada. Jamaica. Bahamas. You all have lost friends this is true this is real. I still hear people saying fake numbers election noise and the like. Believe what you want believe what you will but don't take me with you. Madflyer

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Indeed. We have had the opportunity to go to a Canadian Timeshare and have chosen not to - exactly for the reasons you describe. It just isn't worth it. (and if staying home is the price we pay to keep the world safer it is a very small price to pay) We still have jobs and a roof over our heads and our kids are OK. Toronto also is (was?) a hot spot so even though my siblings live in communities with a much much lower rate we have to be careful because we don't want to bring any gifts. :rolleyes: Our jobs involve travel and we were told in June already no face to face meetings until at least the end of September.

On a much lighter note, I note the trip to Moscow. Here, for people who need a small road trips we have the European Capitals tour - 7 capitals - Brussels - Dublin - London - Copenhagen - Vienna - Paris and Lisbon in a five hours drive :smile:

https://www.narcity.com/travel/ca/o...ies-you-can-visit-for-a-european-capital-tour

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh and in terms of fuse box. almost everything is running right now but I may just make a new harness. I have a painless harness in the garage and a friend made a dramatically simpler harness for his Midget. so, maybe.

cheers