• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cold Air Bilge Blower update

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

UPDATE

A while back I installed a bilge blower within my Cold Air Duct to bring additional air into the foot well of the cabin. After my initial install of a variable speed control and downward footwell air diverter in front of the cabin vent, an April testing within cool weather seemed to prove the concept. However, testing later showed that the unit was NOT a Success as hot radiator air recirculation was also brought into the foot well when running very slow as in traffic or stopped.

To help eliminate hot radiator recirculation, I created closed ducting between duct and grill as well as radiator and grill to help eliminate hot air draw. Although this effort was more extensive then expected, it did not do resolve the total problem as much of the issue depended upon air flow through the engine compartment.

Not wanting to install hood louvers or fender vents, Dougie indicated some very positive results for improving engine compartment flow from adding (4) 3" sets louvers to each inner fender well. Additionally, I added an on/off polarity switch to the variable speed switch in order to push air out of the Cold Air Duct when going slow or stopped. Although this polarity switch is now manual, it would be nice if I could figure a way to have it automatically and safely switch as sook as the car slows to a stop. Any ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, these additions have improved cooling and at some point this summer hope to change back to my original 4-bladded fan to see how it functions.

Ray(64Baj8P1)

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
From the MG fender vents thread:

"... the wheelwell is a low pressure area and will suck the hot air out of the engine bay when moving. And yes, quite a few owners have reported very significant improvements in cooling with the holes. Incidentally, the airflow out of the engine compartement is generally enough to prevent splash from the tires from entering the engine bay. "

Note at the end of the thread this link to louvered panels:

http://rodlouvers.com/Default.aspx

D

Deleted member 21878

Ray
i would also like to see your vents.

i was thinking i might take a house soffit vent, since it is louvered and screened already. cut it to the length i want.

you say this helps with temps. do you mean cabin temp or engine temp?

thanks

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Guys,

I hate to say it but this is the second time I seem to have misplaced Dougies louver-installed pictures. The louvers are composed of two steel sheets of (4) louvers, placed in the inner wheel well reasonably close to the suspension opening with the louver extending out of the engine compartment and down on an angle consistent with the inner fender edge. As Steve indicated, the low pressure created by the wheel well, brakes the air bubble that forms in the engine compartment around the fire wall and draws the air to flow into the wheel well and exhaust area. As I see it, this difference in pressure allows for more effective engine compartment air flow from the radiator and through the engine compartment when the car is moving and also provides an outward exit when the car is stopped.

s-l225.webp
15416135_t.jpg

Dougie, I hate to ask you again but could you post your picture again,

Thanks,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Ray,
Better sealing would be needed between the grille opening and wheel well in the tie rod area - or the vents would be pulling cool air from the front as well.

Maybe some sort of canvas gaiter could be made that would close off the opening and accommodate the movement of the tie rods.

Blocking the airflow on either side of the radiator would allow the upper suspension openings to function as such an exit.

BaffleRtRadAlternator.jpg

BaffleLtRad.jpg

Last edited:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I did two things to help with the vent duct:
  • my radiator side baffles come all the way to the grille. I have the 100-6/early 3000 horizontal grille and the baffles end at the vertical supports about 2/3 of the way toward each side.
  • I wrapped 3" aluminum dryer duct with 1/4" foam insulation and slid it inside the 4" black hose. It's not visible and keeps the air from picking up engine bay heat.

The resulting air is relatively cool.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I also added insulated 3 inch ducting inside the original. It does help. But then air conditioning helped more!

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I hate to say it but this is the second time I seem to have misplaced Dougies louver-installed pictures. The louvers are composed of two steel sheets of (4) louvers, placed in the inner wheel well reasonably close to the suspension opening with the louver extending out of the engine compartment and down on an angle consistent with the inner fender edge. As Steve indicated, the low pressure created by the wheel well, brakes the air bubble that forms in the engine compartment around the fire wall and draws the air to flow into the wheel well and exhaust area. As I see it, this difference in pressure allows for more effective engine compartment air flow from the radiator and through the engine compartment when the car is moving and also provides an outward exit when the car is stopped.

s-l225.webp
15416135_t.jpg

Dougie, I hate to ask you again but could you post your picture again,

Thanks,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Ray, where did you get those louver panels?...

Thanks,
Steve

D

Deleted member 21878

steve
look at Steve's post above on hot rod louvers. there is a link. post #4

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Looking at the MG louvers on the V8 site, the MGs normally don't have an opening down there, so if the wheel well is a low pressure area, the louvers make sense on an MG.

On a Healey, I'm wondering what these louvers will do that the front suspension opening isn't already doing.

If one hasn't blocked off the area on either side of the radiator, maybe a rearward facing scoop over the suspension opening would help exhaust hot engine-compartment air and not just air that's bypassed the radiator.

Science project idea: place some kind of temperature pickup on the rear edge of the wheel well and see which version gives the most heat in that area - that would show whether the vents were working.

Last edited:
OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Sorry for my slow response. The panels were selected from a number available in ebay. Although the panel pricing seems reasonable, the shipping, even from ebay, seem quite high.

Ray(64BJ8P1)