• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yes Mickey, Irregardless is now a word.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I could care less.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Regardless of whether or not it's in the dictionary you shouldn't use irregardless.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Malapropism don't effect me atol.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK, now you've got me started! And I'm sufficiently wired with caffeine!

I wrote above one of my verbal pet peeves. Whenever I hear someone say, depending on the circumstances, "I could care less", I usually say, "I couldn't!" Always get "the look".

But one of my favorite pet peeves (intentional oxymoron there...) is when someone says, "I thought to myself..." WHO ELSE are ya gonna think to??

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A phrase even making it into a song Bro: "What a Wonderful World".

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A phrase even making it into a song Bro: "What a Wonderful World".

Yeah, artistic license...

But I do love that song! Louis Armstrong's version, of course, but also Iz's.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
......But one of my favorite pet peeves (intentional oxymoron there...) is when someone says, "I thought to myself..." WHO ELSE are ya gonna think to??
I like that one alot :rolleye:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Speaking of language "changes" ...

Whatever happened to "Does anyone"?

Seems nearly every question these days begins "Anyone have ...".

yeesh

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
My favourite hate, "of"!

As in could of, should of, must of, might of, etc., when used instead of "have". I have even seen it recently in closed captions, though I must confess I don't know how they are created,

Country flag
Mine is orientated. The orientation of the object was such that it was oriented in a northerly direction. None of this orientated nonsense!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Would "I for two" be better? Easier to win an argument when the majority is on your side.:friendly_wink:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Not a peeve of mine. I use "There is no team in I" occasionally when I'm getting help that I really don't want.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Just because a myriad of people use "irregardless" doesn't make it a word nor "myriad" a noun. I have myriad language pet peeves.
Bob

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just because a myriad of people use "irregardless" doesn't make it a word nor "myriad" a noun. I have myriad language pet peeves.
Bob

Well ... when people use the word, it *is* a word. Most dictionaries and "word hounds" add a word when it becomes common in usage. As Merriam-Webster says ""We do not make the English language, we merely record it." We can fight about using (or not using) a "word" - but it's still a word.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-26-at-1.50.06-PM.png

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Forsooth and verily, Nutmeg. If frequent or plurality usage controls whether an aggregation of letters is a word, why are "forsooth" and "verily" still in my dictionary?

Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Forsooth and verily, Nutmeg. If frequent or plurality usage controls whether an aggregation of letters is a word, why are "forsooth" and "verily" still in my dictionary?

Bob

Huzaah!