• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Name this part - I am stumped!

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I came across this little guy. I vaguely recall this part from my BT7 restoration about twelve years ago now. I know that I have seen it before but it is testing my memory and I just cannot come up with what it is or the purpose it serves. Can anyone help?
Thank you!

Lin

IMG_0729.jpg

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And are there any movable parts? Or is it one solid piece.
(That poor little guy right now is having an identity crisis).

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
It is solid. No holes in either end. I think the heater cable stop is a good idea, but I do not believe that correctly identifies it.
Lin

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, since no one has figured this out yet, I'm going to approach this from a different angle. That is, instead of trying to guess what it could be (exactly), instead, studying it from a "morphological" view point (ok...maybe saying that was way too deep).

To get deeper, looking at its design, I see it as having a continuous 360 degree reveal close to the top "flange." Therefore, designed to allow a slip-on retaining clip of some kind and which can be clipped in any position, or non specific, therefore (if you get my drift). Then, a perfectly, non deviating and solid cylindrical mass, with a smaller concentric mass following. And mind you the top flange has virtually the same diameter as the rest of the cylindrical mass so having the function of being mounting against a surface as a "stop"(ie. like the choke piece on a wood dash) can be dismissed and for the reason the flange would have to be of a greater diameter for that to function). I also see the outer edge of the flange is slightly tapered--a possible valuable clue (what that clue is, I have no clue!).

Further analyzing this form, from a symmetrical point of view, it has "zero" mirror image (slicing through the form along the "X" axis, or short dimension), infinite axis' of rotation (perpendicularity, as it is called) about the "Y" axis (or long dimension). And if solid with no holes, then I believe this object had a simple function of serving as a stepped spacer and that fitted into something else.

I keep thinking this design was used in some way with a wiper motor setup or related but coming up empty.

(but the more I look at this, the more it reminds me of a piece of cabinet hardware, like part of a shelf. Maybe it had an "O" ring in the reveal).

Paul

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is a fun one for sure. As it has no holes not a 196. As for an O-ring slot question that. As there is little or no rub or wear I think not a pin unless on a peddle arm say brake or clutch that uses a clip not a cotter pin. I am a TR guy and it did not come from my car. Don't give up the year is still young. Madflyer

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, since it's been 12 years since the restoration, it's unlikely that the part is critical. Maybe it's not from your Healey... maybe it's part of some tool or from your lawn mower?

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My dad and I did a frame-off, nut-and-bolt restoration of a BN2/100M, and I don't recall anything like it (cable stops are the closest). But, the resto took 10 years and it's been almost that since we finished, so I could well have forgotten. It is intriguing, though.

James A Martin

Country flag
It looks a lot like the piston in a fuel shut off valve placed just upstream if the fuel pump. However, I don't remember how it was moved up & down

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Well, I want to thank everyone who has given this some thought. I have yet to come up with anything. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo when I found the part, but the yellow dot in the photo below (for illustration purposes only) shows where it was located. I had removed the gearbox cover to do some maintenance work and that cute little fellow was just sitting there looking at me. I am only slightly and certainly not overly concerned, but you must admit it is a strange place to find something like that.

It is conceivable that the part is from some wire cutters or something similar; However, I remain puzzled because it looks vaguely familiar to me - and it looks old, like my car and me! Oh well, we mustn't spend too much time on such things. I am sure that at the most inopportune time I will discover its purpose. Thanks again!
Lin

Mystery part.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
When I pulled the carpet up, I found a penny with the same date as the car 1967. Might be something left over from the dealer installing something?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As I am putting my TR6 front timing chain cover back on, how about an alignment pin of a pulley or fan? Madflyer

Last edited by a moderator: