• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 It finally HAPPENED... Hood cable broke but HAPPY ending.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I restored my car about 14 years ago the very first thing I added was Macy's emergency hood release.
Just a few moments ago I pulled into my garage and since the temps are in the 90's I pulled the hood release handle to open the hood and let the engine cool down.
NOTHING, nada.... the cable must have broken because the hood release mechanism would not work :scared:.
The release handle felt "sloppy".
After the fear subsided, I reached under the passenger footwell and pulled the emergency release handle. The hood popped open and a smile came to my face :arms:.
I shutter to think what I would have to go through to get the hood open if not for the emergency pull.
If you don't have an emergency release, you need to get one! Sooner or later you will be glad you have it

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have long heard of this and as the release is always quite a pull and the hood opens to the front I do not have a latch at all. A light press on the front of the hood and I lift it open since 1993. At high speed it does not lift so what the need.
Madflyer

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It happened to me on my 1st TR6. It was in 1977 or 78. The car was a 69. I fished thru a hole behind the glovebox and got it open, If I remember properly. Which is 50-50

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It happened to me on my 1st TR6. It was in 1977 or 78. The car was a 69. I fished thru a hole behind the glovebox and got it open, If I remember properly. Which is 50-50
Just the thought of having to deal with that situation makes me cringe.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Best investment I ever made. I never use the stock cable any more. Need all my strength to open the latch. Why they put it on the left side I never could figure out - all those bends. My daughter had a Mini and the latch pull was on the passenger side. Very simple straight pull.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Best investment I ever made. I never use the stock cable any more. Need all my strength to open the latch. Why they put it on the left side I never could figure out - all those bends. My daughter had a Mini and the latch pull was on the passenger side. Very simple straight pull.
I believe that since it is a a English Car normally the pull would be on the right side. Obviously when they exported them they found it easier to reroute the cable and not worry about the consequences.

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The TR4 pull is on the right hand side, but I still installed the Macy's emergency pull just in case...

M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
You guys are all so lucky!

Take a look at how the hood releases on a TR2.
Just one cable going to the right front latch which then sends another cable going across to the left front latch.
Set up and adjustment is a nightmare!

For the TR3 they dumped the whole system and went to 2 key latches up front.

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Glad you have it !

Martin Secrest

Funny you should mention this. I was looking at my emergency release mod on my TR6 the other week and I noticed that the lever mechanism had come so loose from its pivot bolt and would not have worked at all should I have needed it. So if you have this mod, be sure to check it out once in a while, LOL.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I use a nyloc nut on the pivot bolt for that reason.

Country flag
First thing I do when I buy a TR4/250 or 6. I make my own, takes just a couple of minutes. I always double nut the pivot bolt. And yes I use it more than the original cable release.

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
My son and I had an old BMW 2002tii that we restored. One of things i liked about that car was the mechanical over toggle bonnet latches on the left and right side of the bonnet. Actuated by a handle inside the glove box. No springs, no tedious adjusting, no breaking cable.
I have made and installed the cable fail handle and have had to use it once when the cable just decided to go wonky. It self corrected after opening the bonnet. It does make you appreciate the Spitfire/GT6 outside latches.

Rod

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My Alfa also has a cable. I dread to think what would happen if it broke. Some owners drill a hole through the fender and thread a wire through with a loop on the end. I would post a question how to do it but that stupid Alfa BB will not let me post because I "haven't had enough posts". Huh? Classic Catch 22. You don't know how good this Board is.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My Alfa also has a cable. I dread to think what would happen if it broke. Some owners drill a hole through the fender and thread a wire through with a loop on the end. I would post a question how to do it but that stupid Alfa BB will not let me post because I "haven't had enough posts". Huh? Classic Catch 22. You don't know how good this Board is.
That’s like not being allowed in the pool until you learn to swim.

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My time has come :dejection: Looking for a method of unsticking the stuck if the normal and emergency hood releases no longer release. Anyone try coming up from underneath?