• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Difficulty with New Seat Diaphragm Install

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Rather than replace my seats with aftermarkets, I made the decision to recover both seats in my 72 TR6. I'm now into the initial phase but having a very difficult time installing new diaphragms. I know other forum members had similar problems but i could not locate previous posts on the subject. I ordered these items from Moss. They seem well made and heavy duty. Thus far, I was successful in attaching the item from the rear frame as well as the sides. in spite of this, I am still a good 2 inches short from the front frame and unable to stretch this thing that far. I was considering heating the rubber with a heat gun and winching it into place using a come-a-long but was afraid i would destroy it and end up at square 1 again. I have contacted Moss and requested confirmation on the part number 281-838 as being the correct replacement part but have not heard anything back yet.

My question is: Should this installation process be this difficult? Has anyone who rebuilt their stock seats have a technique to stretch this rubber to fit the frame? My frames are in excellent shape and totally stock with no alteration or damage. I'm using heavy duty vise-grip needle nose pliers to pull the hooks into place. As usual, any friendly advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do not remember a problem with mine but I do not buy from Moss, two many problems with there parts. I did do an MG B last year and I had to add longer hook as as there was to much pull required. I do not think it should be very tight as you will do that when you set down. Madflyer

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have done 3 TR6 seat sets with parts from TRF and had no problems.

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I was finally successful in installing this. My problem was self-induced because I was attaching the hog rings from the bottom up. By the next day, it finally dawned on me that the hooks need to be installed from the top. That way the sharp edges will be facing downward. This is my first seat and I'm learning as I go along. The remaining seat will be easier. Thanks for the responses.

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I recently did this job, also using diaphrams from TRF. I did the front to back ones first which were easy and for the sides I had my son hold down the frame while I pulled on the hog ring using a stout, looped cable tie. Went pretty quick.

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I recently did this job, also using diaphrams from TRF. I did the front to back ones first which were easy and for the sides I had my son hold down the frame while I pulled on the hog ring using a stout, looped cable tie. Went pretty quick.

Good idea with the cable tie. Thanks for your advice. I'll be a happy camper to get this job completed.