• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A H Spares Alternator Bracket

90dog

Country flag
Hello All,
Has anyone had any experience with the alternator bracket from A H Spares? It's available from both A H Spares and Moss as part of a kit including a Lucas alternator, but the bracket alone is available from A H Spares (for a lot less money). My concern is whether it is designed such that only the Lucas alternator will fit, or if a U.S. manufacturer (Delco, etc.) will work as well. Pictured is the bracket and the Lucas alternator, both lifted from the A H Spares, LTD website.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Alterator Bracket.jpg
    Alterator Bracket.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Lucas Alternator.jpg
    Lucas Alternator.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 133

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Dog, I'm not sure but I think that bracket will only work with the Lucas alterantor. I have been running a Delco alternator for about 10 years on my Healey with a lot of driving. ( no problems ). the alternator is around a middle '90s Chevy S10 Blazer vintage. Got the alternator from Napa. The bracket I am using was made and marketed from the North Texas Austin Healey Club ( I think that was their name ). The guy that produced it is no longer around But I think Allen Hendrix of the Hendrix Wheel fame is producing the same bracket.

OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
Hi Vette,
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking it might be a Lucas-only rig, particularly in light of those wide spaced ears on the alternator housing. I have seen the Hendrix bracket, glad to know it's been good for your use. I need to replace the side cover as well and was thinking the AH bracket might work with a Delco, but I'm starting to have my doubts. It may just be best to get a new side cover from Moss and the Hendrix mounting kit.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Now you're jogging my memory a little more. Hendrix does have what you need. Having said that I believe what I got from the North Texas club was a tube and spacers that were used with the original Healey side cover. For some reason I later got ahold of Hendrix, but I don't remember why. It may have been for a beefed up side cover. But talk to him; he'll fix you up.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
Thanks sir. One way or another I need to replace the side cover, either with an OEM style or something aftermarket modded for an alternator. FUN!

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Now your jogging my memory a little more. Hendrix does have what you need. Having said that I believe what I got from the North Texas club was a tube and spacers that were used with the original Healey side cover. For some reason I later got a hold of Hendrix but I don't remember why. It may have been for a beefed up side cover. But talk to him he'll fix you up.
Hi Vette,
The alternator bracket kit was produced by the late Don Lenschow who was a member of the North Texas Austin Healey Club, NTAHC. I believe his inventory was sold to Hendrix. The Original Texas Cooler fan was sold by our club.
Cheers,
Patrick Yoas
President
NTAHC

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Patrick, I remember some of that now. I bought my brackets around the time that Don died. I don’t rennet the time line now but i remember later that for some reason I was trying to make contact with Don and I ended up talking to his wife, she told me the news. It was sad and shocking.
I also have a Texas cooler on my BJ7 and the car never overheats.

OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
Hi Vette,
The alternator bracket kit was produced by the late Don Lenschow who was a member of the North Texas Austin Healey Club, NTAHC. I believe his inventory was sold to Hendrix. The Original Texas Cooler fan was sold by our club.
Cheers,
Patrick Yoas
President
NTAHC

Hello Patrick,
Fun fact: While I lived in Texas (and prior to getting my BJ8) I belonged to the North Texas Norton Owners Association (NTNOA), which shared your club's affection for old British iron. After getting my Healey I discovered the NTAHC and got a Texas cooler of my own. It's not as critical here in the Pacific Northwest, but it's still doing the job. Belated thanks!

'75 Norton.jpg

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hello Dog, I'm not sure but I think that bracket will only work with the Lucas alterantor. I have been running a Delco alternator for about 10 years on my Healey with a lot of driving. ( no problems ). the alternator is around a middle '90s Chevy S10 Blazer vintage. Got the alternator from Napa. The bracket I am using was made and marketed from the North Texas Austin Healey Club ( I think that was their name ). The guy that produced it is no longer around But I think Allen Hendrix of the Hendrix Wheel fame is producing the same bracket.

I'm using the AH bracket with my own sourced alternator. I had to make a spacer for it to fit tight.

'57 Ruddspeed Race Motor.jpg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have a similar bracket which I purchased from DW a number of years ago mated with a Leece-Neville (Prestolite) 70 amp alternator. As Dougie indicates it is usually only necessary to use the proper bushings or washers to take up whatever difference there is in mounting ear spacing, the only critical factor being absolute alignment of the pulleys.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'd get the bracket and use a Denso alternator per Dougie.

For the cheap version, using the stock side plate, a friend's setup...

Not to rain on Hendrix' parade, but one can buy the two curved adjustable struts from one of the hot rod suppliers for peanuts. A piece of 5/16" all-thread, some nuts and tubing (to cover the all-thread) finishes the job. Washers form the spacers where the struts attach to the front engine plate. If you have a 3/8" x 5/16" bushing you can bush the 10mm hole to better fit the all-thread.

The curved struts were chromed and too long. He drilled the holes at the bottom, cut them off and painted the setup green. When he painted the alternator, he stuffed pieces of fishtank tubing in the air slots to avoid painting the windings etc.

He made the bracket for the coil, keeping the stock wiring, as this setup's intended to be a spare in case his Dynamator expires on the road.

If you use a 1-wire alternator, be sure to add a voltmeter, as it won't drive the idiot light. Voltmeter's a good idea anyway.

screenshot.2300.jpg

This one will work with the stock side cover but it looks like the GM ears might be a little off for the AHS side cover.
I've been running one of these for >10 years.

screenshot.2301.jpg

Last edited:
OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
I have a similar bracket which I purchased from DW a number of years ago mated with a Leece-Neville (Prestolite) 70 amp alternator. As Dougie indicates it is usually only necessary to use the proper bushings or washers to take up whatever difference there is in mounting ear spacing, the only critical factor being absolute alignment of the pulleys.

Thanks Michael, forgive the dumb question but who is DW? A fellow member or a supplier I should be aware of?

OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
Anyone who's used the aftermarket cover from AH or DW who could provide me with the inner distance between the ears? Thanks!

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Scaling from the photo, the ID on the ears looks like about 1-1/4".

Healey Surgeons sells AHspares stuff. Will check with them Monday to see if they stock the bracket.

The larger ear on the above alternator is .955"