• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Getting even in parking lots...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
... mind you this is not a product endorsement, but I like them. :cool: And one requires very little effort/equipment.

zip.jpg
wrap.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Before driving back home when I graduated college, me and my buds drove around the college campus to find a "Rotten" professor's car.
When we found it we chained an old rust bicycle to his bumper and drove off with the key to the lock :triumphant:
It was well deserved!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Speaking of sneaky tricks, I heard of this one:
Take a simple but beefy zip-tie and zip it to a front axle (front wheel drive car of course). The long end of it will hit something as it spins around producing a ticking. Of course, someone will have to look for the problem (perhaps thinking it's a CV joint) only to find that it can be easily "fixed."
I thought - dang, that's clever!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Speaking of sneaky tricks, I heard of this one:
Take a simple but beefy zip-tie and zip it to a front axle (front wheel drive car of course). The long end of it will hit something as it spins around producing a ticking. Of course, someone will have to look for the problem (perhaps thinking it's a CV joint) only to find that it can be easily "fixed."
I thought - dang, that's clever!
Been there, done that. We used to pop off one hubcap and put a few small stones inside then put it back on the car. It would drive you crazy trying to find out the source of the “noise”.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
An elegantly simple solution to "a problem." :eek:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Returning from military service, I'd been able to keep a couple "survival" knives I'd flown with. "Safety orange" pocket-knife sized, with a button that released a parachute shroud hook. Gave one to a pal. The two of us were out one evening to have a beer and catch up on things. A really obnoxious patron had been cut off and told to leave. He went to his car. We followed and he drove off to the next watering hole, weaving and obviously impaired/inebriated. As he went inside we went to his Caddy and used those shroud hooks to cut the stems on both of his rear tires. No idea of the outcome, we booked outta there.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
As a teenager, I lived near the water. New Yorkers used to come up, park and use the small beach at the end of the road. They also left debris, defecated in the small bushes on the path leading to the beach, etc. Using a valve cap with the slot in it, we unscrewed the valve stems, left them in loose, and took off. That ended the problem. Our motto: "New Yorkers - go home!".

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I remember an episode of Leave It To Beaver where (I think) Wally and Eddy attached a chain to the rear axle and differential of a car in a driveway so-as to prevent it from moving... but, instead, the driver pulled away and yanked the entire (fake) assembly off the car as the body hit the ground and dragged. We laughed and laughed. Wish I could find that scene.

EDIT: found this.

"Lumpy puts smoke bombs in both Wally and Eddie's car engines, rendering both cars temporarily immobile. Wally and Eddie decide to get back at Lumpy, but for Wally only if the prank is funny but harmless. After discarding several other pranks as either too dangerous or juvenile, they decide to use Ward's tow chain to wrap around Lumpy's rear axle while wrapping the other end around a tree, so that Lumpy will stall when trying to drive his car out of the driveway. The prank ends up being a little more harmful than they anticipated as when Lumpy tries to drive off, the entire rear axle of his car falls off. Wally and Eddie have to decide what to do. But if Lumpy and Mr. Rutherford discover it was them that pulled the prank, will Lumpy confess to having started the war of the pranks?"​

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
FOUND IT!!! Go to 9:30 seconds at https://vimeo.com/287290398 (though the planning starts tat 6:50).

WALLY AND EDDIE PRANK "Daddy!"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
An even less benign incident than the valve stem one occurred while in the USAF. First Wife had a '67 MGB-GT, "Resale Red" and in beautiful condition. On a trip to the auto parts store, I parked it in the last designated space in the lot closest to the store, she sat in the passenger side to wait for my short in-and-out purchase. As I left the store I saw a red Chevelle sitting between her GT and the store, and she with the back hatch opened on the B, screwing the cap onto a quart bottle of brake fluid... she closed the hatch and said: "C'mon! we gotta go right NOW!" Turned out the Chevelle driver dinged her passenger door when getting out of the car and when she said something to him about it, he just glared at her and went in the store. A bit miffed, she got out, got the bottle of brake fluid and POURED IT OVER THE HOOD of the Chevelle! Glancing back we saw the hood dripping red onto the pavement. Nasty is a woman scorned!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:scared:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
… and more realistic (though 20 years later).

Country flag
Years ago in college there was this guy none of us got along with. I once switched two of the plug leads so rather than a v6, it was now a v4 with one cyliner on one side and 3 on the other. Kinda shook and was a "bit" rough... He was mechanically illiterate so took home a week of "trying to blow the carbon out" before a garage discovered it.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Did you ever stick a potato into the car's tailpipe?

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Did you ever stick a potato into the car's tailpipe?

No, but in high school we slipped an incense stick into a "friend's" Volvo... where it filled his car with that smell all day (and for weeks after that).