• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

69 Sprite drum brake adjuster

Upland

Country flag
I had my drums off the other day and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to move the adjuster to loosen or tighten the pads. How does that work?
Upland

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you look at the pic you will see that the adjuster (threaded part) works like a wedge pushing the pad further apart.

brake adjust.JPG

More instructions here, but basically (from the back) you wind it in until the hub no longer turns then wind it back until it just does.

http://www.spridgetguru.com/TA0045.html

It is also worth (eventually) buying a brake wrench for this - not expensive and so much easier.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Wind it in until yiu hear the shoes just barely start to scrape when you rotate the wheels than back off a smidgeon. Oh and BTW - if this car has set for a long time, chances are this adjuster may be frozen up. Some heat and PB Blaster will help to gt it unstuck. A 1/4" or 3/8" wrench is needed. Easy to round off the square head so use the correct wrench. And I swear I one of these on one LBC that had a metric square head on it.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I will second the rusted on, and that was my first thought when I read the original post. How does this thing work since nothing seems to want to move. Yeah, heat and PBBlaster, I seem to recall Spridget adjusters being bad offenders for getting corroded on. Is also easy to round the corners if stuck or the wrench doesn't fit right.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Keep with PB Blaster for several days, keep applying, “Patience Grasshopper” or your will totally F it up. Several more days of PB Blaster or whoever is your favorite deruster and then get out the propane torch. That will likely fix it. Oh and order 2 new adjusting screws.

OP
Upland

Upland

Country flag
All your info was really helpful, I'm kinda embarrassed to say I was thinking it adjusted from the front of the plate, and couldn't figure out how to move it!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
All your info was really helpful, I'm kinda embarrassed to say I was thinking it adjusted from the front of the plate, and couldn't figure out how to move it!

we've all made those kind of assumptions - which is why this forum is so great - we all remember when we were new (mostly :smile: ) in the answering of questions.

:cheers:

nomad

Yoda
When working on a car with an offending adjuster and other brake work that needs doing i take those adjusters out and clean everything really well before re-assembling them with Never seize. A Liberal coating and you never have trouble again.